Menu

Magic Tree House books: all opinions wanted.

Lovedtodeath

Errgh. I just knew someone was gonna ask...:D

I thing the publisher was Sunfire books, or something like that, and the titles I do remember were "Norah" "Victoria" "Cassie". They all had different authors I think. I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Ok, just got back form checking, and yes, they are listed on Amazon under Sunfire romances. But GAK! I really should have saved my old copies, 'cause they want an arm and a leg for them now!! Geesh. Maybe you can locate some somewhere else, if you know the titles you want.

Thanks for looking! Maybe they're in my library system.

Do they belong in a Classical Curriculum? Why? Why not? Are they twaddle? Are they just for fun? Good for motivation but otherwise not? Do children really learn about history from them? What reading level are they? So would you read aloud or use them as readers? At what age for each (if any)?

Thanks!

I wouldn't say that they belong in a Classical Curriculum per se. I certainly would never assign them as reading. I definitely consider them twaddle. That said both my girls have read the entire series and loved every minute of it. I've lost count of the number of times they've interrupted history to tell me that something was in such and such Jack and Annie book. As far as reading level, I'd put them between level 2 readers and regular chapter books. I personally don't care to read them myself so I wouldn't read them aloud, but they work well as fun readers to build confident, reading fluency, and speed (which in the end is why I tolerate them). HTH

The writing was ok... I think they are about 1-2nd grade in reading level. Some are more advanced. The non-fiction guides are nice.

I really liked the Magic Treehouse books though because they gave my son the confidence to jump into chapter books when he was very hesitant, although fully capable. He had a passion for the Titanic. I found that there was a Magic Treehouse Titanic book and off he FLEW. Magic Treehouse, while not Newberry Material, or great books material, was the springboard into greater books.

I agree, they are great books for beginning readers. I wouldn't go building my curriculumn around though. Perfect if you're doing a short theme type student and want an independent reader, especially if you pair up with the research guides. So, Yes- some twaddle...but oh well.

I agree, they are great books for beginning readers. I wouldn't go building my curriculumn around though.

Well, I don't build my curriculum around any books, so no worries there. Even if they were supremely excellent you would only see two a year. IMO, The same type of book over and over wouldn't be all that different from a textbook, KWIM?