Menu

History Pockets

LibraryLover

Hmmm, I just posted a whole spiel on another forum, maybe you're the same person who asked there too, but if not, here's what I said:

We plan to use SOTW, UILE, library books as go-alongs, and these Pockets.

We got the Ancient Civilization History Pockets (for grades 1-3), for when we start Ancient next fall. However, that is the only History Pocket we got (we have a few other Evan-Moor Theme booklets though), and we haven't used it yet. But since the previous post did sound like a spammer type, I'll talk about what I think of this one.

My 4.5 year old liked to do lapbooks, so this is very similar to a lapbook, but lots of information in one big pocket, that she can look at again and again and show to others with pride. smile.gif In Ancient Civilization we learn what history is, as well as make a little booklet. We've got vocabulary to cut and paste, and for each civilization, we have postcards, Puppets, little pop-up books, and other cool little projects, such as a pyramid that is 3-d but can fold up back into the pocket, a slide your croc up and down the nile booklet, Aztec calender, you get the picture.

All the booklets and projects are all in the book which you can print out and easily make. Much handier/faster than the typical lapbooks we've done.

We got ours for $10 (think they run $14-15) on Amazon and for that price, it is well worth the extra activities. They also come in e-book, which I'll get for our future ones, so I can use and print out with multiple kids. Keep in mind, that our homeschooling days are full of creative activities, not just reading, so we love this kind of stuff. My young one loves to color and do crafts/art.

Can't wait to do our first one this fall and probably end up with even more History Pockets.

A quick google brings up this in action!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/morning/358807/

but my kids are 5 and 7. However, some of the activities(postcard comes to mind) would be better for an older child...while some(puppet figures) may not appeal to her or be too simple/babyish.

If they had one that fit the next stage I would buy again though. We enjoyed them and it added just enough extra hands on to our Ancient studies.

I think it depends on how arty your dd is. If she likes to color, she would probably enjoy making coloring the puppets in great detail (we never made them puppets, by the way. We just used them as coloring sheets.). Yeah, I'd say it depends mostly on how much she likes to color. For a kid who likes to color, there's a lot of fun stuff to work on.

Tara

My 7 & 10 yr old loved these. We used both the grades 1-3 and 4-6. Both children enjoyed each level. There was more info in the pockets than I expected and there is more than *just coloring, cutting and pasting, although that is lot of that.

We checked out quite a few library books because the HP topics interested the kids and they wanted more info about the topics. I think HP are great!

My daughter, who is now 9, has loved these all along. The Ancients for grades 1-3 is really basic. So for an older child, I would consider getting the separate books on Romans, Greeks, Egypt, etc. They are for older kids. You could then choose only those projects you want to do.

Lesley

I used these with my son. Unfortunately, he hates coloring, and coloring is a major part of the Pocket experience.

I agree... If you buy the SOTW workbook to go with the reading book you will have enough activities/coloring pages/outside reading suggestions...

I used Los Banos Story of the USA with my 4th grader last year, and it called for the Native Americans History Pockets to be used. A lot of the activities in the book were not all that appealing to her, although my younger ones who sat in on it really enjoyed them. I did modify some of the activities for the kids to make them more age appropriate. If I did use them again I would use them with a younger child, not an older one. On the other hand, like a previous poster said, there is a LOT of information in them, and they are an excellent resource as far as information goes.

My kids LOVE these and beg to do these first each school day. We're using SL Core 1, but I think they've retained so much due to the History Pockets more than the SL core. They review what they've learned all the time, the puppets lead to narration and they love playing with all of the things they've made. They show them to everyone- Daddy, Nana and Papa, and anyone else who comes over. They are proud of what they've made and like having something to show for their efforts, since we normally use curricula that doesn't have worksheets or anything.

If your kids like crafty things I think these are a good fit. My kids are very into crafts so they've been enjoyed here. I wish they had Vikings and Middle Ages history pockets, my kids will miss the pockets next year.

We did the Ancient Civilizations one in first grade. My daughter enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was that it is designed to be copied and used by multiple children (in a classroom), not treated as a consumable for a single child. I had to copy at least half the book in order to be able to do all the activities as many of them are printed back to back. I don't know if it would have been more cost effective for me to have bought the ebook (not available when I got them) and printing them off as needed or getting the book and copying the needed pages and treat it as consumable.

What I didn't enjoy was that it is designed to be copied and used by multiple children (in a classroom), not treated as a consumable for a single child. I had to copy at least half the book in order to be able to do all the activities as many of them are printed back to back. I don't know if it would have been more cost effective for me to have bought the ebook (not available when I got them) and printing them off as needed or getting the book and copying the needed pages and treat it as consumable.

:iagree:This is exactly why I did not like them. I have four kids, and having to run copies irritated me. I would have much preferred to have an ebook, but like you it was not available when I ordered mine.