Menu

I started Weight Watcher's yesterday. Want to share tips or success/setback stories?

Since turning 40 four years ago, my annual 5 lb of weight gain has added up to 20 lb! I decided I'd better do something before my width exceeds my height.:D I thought now would be a good time to join so that I can get into the habit of it before our new school year starts up.

So far I really like what I see. It's very flexible, gives me lots of control, and allows me to cook for the entire family (some other low carb types of things were not user friendly for our family of 6). The little point trackers are well laid out, and help me to make sure that I'm eating a healthy balance. The entire program seems designed to train the user to make good choices (and hopefully permanent habit changes).

I'd love to hear from those who have been there & done that. Any favorite cookbooks? Family friendly recipes? Success or setback stories?

Lori

Congratulations on making that first step. I started WW almost 6 years ago, after my second son was born. It took me about 9 months to lose all the baby weight, but after that I was able to get down to an even smaller and healthier weight. The "training" I got by going to WW has helped me to keep all of the weight off since I lost it. Of course, now I'm pregnant again, so I'm not keeping track of points, but I do eat a lot healthier because of the WW influence. I'll go back as soon as this baby is born. I can't say enough good things about WW. I love it!!!! I'll try to post some tips and my favorite cookbooks later. Good luck to you!

I think WW is a great weight loss program. I've done it myself in the recent past and lost weight.

Tips...

Drink your water!

Write down every morsel. My WW leader used to say in a deep Texas twang...If you bite it, write it. This is the single best thing to do to keep on track.

Get your exercise daily. It helps with calories burned, yes, but also floods your brain with feel good chemicals.

Shift your focus to eating as healthy as you can while on the program. I don't eat any artificial sweetners, so I did not buy much from my local meeting tables...but I learned a lot at the meetings and loved being applauded for my tiny accomplishments! If you make sure you are eating as healthy as possible, you'll be making long term changes in your health and habits.

Good luck! Be sure and take a before photo!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno if this helps or not, but my dad (math professor that he is) has figured out the way Weight Watcher's figures their points (he says it's an equation of fat grams versus fiber, or something) so that he can eat anything for which he can find the nutrition facts and make it fit in his diet. (Of course, the portion may not always be as big as he likes . . .) He's done really really well on it for the past 5 years or so, always staying within 5 pounds of his target weight since he came down to it.

Of course, I wish I had his self-control around food . . . :001_smile:

My mom loves the support of the program, too!

Mama Anna

I just started back yesterday as well. I made lifetime the last time in about 8 months losing about 50lbs. I then became prego again and here I am. Good luck!

Write down everything and drink your water. Get in your exercise and you will quickly see results!

ABC=all bites count...if you eat it, write it

Exercise, water and portion control. Plan your day in the morning and your all set for the day, no slip up's that way.

Good Luck! I'm back on to unload 90 pounds while my husband is deployed for the next 12 months. :D

Dunno if this helps or not, but my dad (math professor that he is) has figured out the way Weight Watcher's figures their points (he says it's an equation of fat grams versus fiber, or something) so that he can eat anything for which he can find the nutrition facts and make it fit in his diet.

I think this is part of the program. When they gave me the little pocket guide, it had a sliding chart that allows me to figure out the points if I know the calories, fat grams and fiber in a serving. This is a very handy feature. It was also interesting to note that bread with more fiber is worth fewer points than processed bread. This is part of what I like about the program. Healthy options are constantly reinforced.

Lori

WW is great. It's hard, though, once you "get there!" I've been at lifetime for several months now and it's a struggle, every day. But, that's not a problem with WW. That's a problem with me. But, it's probably the most "natural" way of dieting. You're eating regular healthy foods, at moderate portions and exercising and getting enough water. Good luck!

I've lost 20 pounds since the beginning of the year doing WW. It's slowed way down the past couple of months, but I'm still going in the right direction, so I can't complain. In my past attempts, I either tried to give up chocolate and failed miserably or I wound up using too many points on cookies. So this time I buy the WW ice cream so I can have something sweet when I want. And I buy Vitatops, which are these chocolate muffin things that are awesome and are just 1 point each. And they have real ingredients in them; not lots of weirdness. So there's my vitatop commercial. They're expensive, though. I just found out they sell a mix that's way cheaper than buying the muffins, so I'm excited. Also, I drink carbonated water constantly--Kroger sells it in 12 ounce cans, so I get my fizzy drink fix with those. And I chew a lot of gum. I mostly cook/eat the same stuff I used to for meals; I just do smaller portions.

I did best when I went to the weekly meetings. I didn't do well when I tried to do it by myself. I only stopped because of a medical issue and my doctor doesn't want me dieting just now. Too bad cause I gained all my weight back. Stupid medicine.

:iagree: with everything already said.

Plan your success. Keep a list of good food choices for breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner and make sure to have those things readily available. Plan ahead and cut up the vegetables you bought to snack on, portion out things into ziploc bags or containers, and keep a list in your kitchen and in your purse of 1 point, 2 point and 3 point snack options. Make sure you have portable snack options to take with you so you aren't tempted by convenience foods.

Also, eat your points. Don't skimp!

When I do those things, I lose. Otherwise, I get lax and get frustrated and quit.