Menu

It's time for Iron Chef: Hive Edition!

And the secret ingredient is........(pauses for a dramatic, tension-building moment):

Cilantro!

Okay, here's the story. Last summer, I let my cilantro go to seed. Now there are about 500 cilantro plants cluttering up my herb garden. Waste not, want not, right? So I need help! Give me your best recipes for using cilantro- lots of cilantro. I'm even open to desserts containing cilantro! Did I mention that we have *tons* of it?

:bigear:

-Robin

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I like it in Pico. Cilantro Mayo is great too. This might help...or this. :001_smile:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Fallafel (sp?). They are ground chick peas & cilantro fried as little patties. They are a common Middle Eastern dish. People wrap them in pitas and make sandwiches out of them or dip them in a yogurt/tahini sauce.

Lots of my stir fry recipes call for cilantro sprinkled on top. I've never tried it, but it sounds good.

I wish we were neighbors! I'd give you lemons from my lemon tree in exchange for some of your cilantro.

I love to use cilantro in all Mexican cooking--burritos, tacos, fajitas, rice, guacamole. Also, it's great in Thai food. If you like pad thai (and I do), it tastes even better with cilantro.

Do you like shrimp? This is excellent:

Pad Thai

3 TBSP lime juice (fresh)

3 TBSP Asian fish sauce

2 TBSP ketchup

2 TBSP brown sugar

1 TBSP grated gingerroot

1 TBSP reduced-sodium soy sauce

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes

8 oz. noodles, cooked (can use rice noodles)

2 tsp peanut or vegetable oil

½ cup very thinly sliced shallots

2 tsp minced garlic

2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

16 oz. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled & deveined

½ cup chopped green onions

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

¼ cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)

Do all the chopping first so you have everything ready to go. Then, whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, gingerroot, soy sauce, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes in a bowl & set aside.

Heat the peanut oil in a large, non-stick pan. Add shallots and garlic. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until shallots are tender, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often. Add shrimp. Cook & stir until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add reserved sauce, noodles, bean sprouts, green onions, and cilantro. Toss and cook until mixture is hot, about 1 minute. Add peanuts and toss again. Serve immediately.

Black Bean & corn salsa

1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)

1 can corn (drained)

2 cup salsa

2 T. olive oil

chopped onions, salt & pepper, and of course TONS of cilantro to taste. Note: The longer this sits, the better it gets!

Cilantro- Lime Dressing

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped

1 clove garlic

3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root

1/4 cup lime juice

1/3 cup honey

2 t balsamic vinegar

1/2 t salt, or to taste

1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves

1/2 cup olive oil Place the jalapeno pepper, garlic and ginger into a food processor or blender; pulse until the jalapeno and garlic are finely chopped. Pour in the lime juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, and salt, add the cilantro leaves; pulse a few times to blend. Turn the food processor or blender on, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until incorporated into the dressing. Season to taste with salt before serving.