Menu

I stand amazed

Guest dingledine

Guest dingledine

Evan, who just turned 4 in May, has been doing Saxon Math1. Well, he is on lesson 21. On Friday he learned about addition signs and equal signs. Now, he is walking around saying things like 2+3=5 and so on. He started doing that last night, out of the blue. So, when he was getting ready for bed, I just randomly started asking him about different addition problems that he had not worked on at all. He was able to tell me the answers to them all within a matter of seconds. There were only 2 he had to think about for a short while. I am just shocked, because even though he is "a math guy", I thought there was no way he was actually going to understand what the symbols and words were trying to say. But, he does. I am just really impressed. I thought we might be at the end of math and ready to take a break, because "he probably wouldn't understand", but it looks like we are forging ahead. He can't get enough.

Excellent. My suggestion with a math child is to dive into something like MEP, which is free online (you can print it out,) or Singapore Math, which is not. We found Saxon wasn't really cut out for our mathy dc as there is too much repetition, etc. You can add these to your Saxon if you want to use it.

It's fun, huh? My son started doing this, too....and it's a blast! (He's almost 6, now) I haven't had him do formal math, just oral and playing. He loves cuisaire rods and unifix cubes. He also likes skip counting.....

Congrats...it's fun when the little ones like learning:-)

Carrie:-)

Excellent. My suggestion with a math child is to dive into something like MEP, which is free online (you can print it out,) or Singapore Math, which is not. We found Saxon wasn't really cut out for our mathy dc as there is too much repetition, etc. You can add these to your Saxon if you want to use it.

What is MEP?

It's cool, isn't it??

In my family, my kids haven't hit any concept that they were ready for academcially, but not developmentally (like symbols, time, money or math theory.) It makes sense that it would happen, but it hasn't.

I'm glad he's enjoying math and you are enjoying watching him!

Our mathy son, who is grown now, started doing that when he was 4 as well. We showed him multiplication tables shortly after that, and he knew them all by 5. He told us "he saw the pictures of the answers in his head."

It is amazing and fun!

How do you know where to start for Singapore and MEP?

My ds is doing well with a fly by the seat of my pants approach, but the more I hear/read about Singapore and MEP, the more I want to put him into them.

I think there's an online placement test for Singapore Math. I've found MEP levels to be about the same as SM (got that recommendation from someone, and it's working here.) I'm not sure if they have a placement test or not.