Menu

How would you fix this reading problem?

Quiver0f10

Today I realized that while my 12 yo can read, he stumbles when he comes to words with two vowels such as relied, cautious, complain etc. He is a horrible speller and for a while I was wondering if he was dyslexic, but I really don't think he is. We did use SWR two years ago and I thought he had these sounds mastered and was just struggling with spelling in general. :blushing:

Do I start over with phonics? I am planning on using AAS with him, would that cover these issues? I am open to all suggestions!

You might want to consider working through Rewards Reading Secondary with him. It isn't an inexpensive program, but it does have high resale value, especially since the expensive part (the teacher book) is nonconsumable. You must have the teacher book and the student book, but those are the only components you need. Altogether it will cost you around $100 new.

He *could* have dyslexia. I was surprised to find out that my dd, who can actually read a year above grade level (but reads with the classic symptoms), has dyslexia. You might consider getting him tested or at least using resources for people with dyslexia. There's so much info out there nowadays.

We're using AAS Level 1 (after learning to read with Hooked on Phonics) and she has really improved quite a bit in the last few months. Can't promise it's the curriculum that's doing it. Might be just more attention to teaching her strategies?

Good luck! :)

I would get the full set of phonogram cards and go through them. Keep track of what is missed and use AAS strategies to tackle words that contain that phonogram. (How to Teach Spelling from EPS books could help with this, it has phonograms and rules followed by lists of words, nonsense words, phrases, and sentences for dictation.) Ellie is right that WRTR would do this as well. AAS will help, but it will be quite a while before you get to those words.

Oh, check out Elizabeth B 's website as well.

Lesson 24 covers that!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/lsn24.html

I'll e-mail you a pdf of the chart if you wish as well, send me an e-mail, here's my e-mail link:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Other/contact.html

I'd have him sit through lesson 24 and then my spelling lessons. If they move too fast, have him watch the phonics lessons instead, they cover all the same things, just faster and with more of a spelling than reading emphasis. The phonics lessons do as much spelling as the spelling lessons but have more reading as well and move slower through each sound and repeat the rules more.

Edit: The first 5 to 8 seconds of lesson 24 look like it's not going to work, then it fixes. I'm working on updating them all, but I am going very slowly with that, especially with getting ready for our move.

I think a phonics program would work but so would reading aloud with your dc. Read one chapter a day aloud taking turns reading paragraphs from a favorite book. Also a vocabulary program would help as well. Reading the vocabulary words aloud to you or you read them first and have dc repeat.

Today I realized that while my 12 yo can read, he stumbles when he comes to words with two vowels such as relied, cautious, complain etc. He is a horrible speller and for a while I was wondering if he was dyslexic, but I really don't think he is. We did use SWR two years ago and I thought he had these sounds mastered and was just struggling with spelling in general. :blushing:

Do I start over with phonics? I am planning on using AAS with him, would that cover these issues? I am open to all suggestions!

Yes it will. It goes through all of the phonograms and teaches what sounds they stand for. Vowel team phonograms are also together on the tiles, so the student learns to see them as a unit.

If you get the phonogram CD that comes with the Starter Kit, he can hear the sounds on the computer and practice them that way too.

Merry :-)