Menu

How many pages do your children read a month?

I'm just curious.

I calculated the number of pages DS(12) has read since we began hsing in January. He averages 4000 pages a month. This number includes only books (leisure and what I have assigned). It does not include his textbooks, magazines, Boy Scout manuals, 4H booklets, etc.

If I included all of the extra reading he does it would be about 500-1000 pages higher a month.

My oldest goes through 2000 pages a week easily, so probably around 8000 pages a month. And this is a low estimate. Before school related reading

My middle goes through about 400 pages a week, probably around 1500 pages a month. Including all school related reading.

My little guy reads about 100 pages a week, probably 400 pages a month. Including school related reading.

Ds5 has assigned reading 4-6 books a week, average of 20 pages each, so call it 100 pages on average each week, 400 pages a month. He reads during quiet time in his room sometimes, but I have no idea how much (that is his time to do whatever he wants as long as it is quiet and in his room - sometimes reading, sometimes blocks, or Lincoln Logs, or K'nex, or trains...you get the idea). That doesn't count textbooks or anything I read with or to him

My oldest goes through 2000 pages a week easily, so probably around 8000 pages a month. And this is a low estimate. Before school related reading.

That is awesome.

My middle goes through about 400 pages a week, probably around 1500 pages a month. Including all school related reading.

My little guy reads about 100 pages a week, probably 400 pages a month. Including school related reading.

It sounds like you have a bunch of good readers.

I hardly bring myself to do this calculation. DD the Elder easily reads 500 pages a day of typical middle reader/YA fare. There's still a fair bit of white space in these books, but that's a humbling amount of reading (for me).

I checked out your blog. I love the fish tale. Your DS is very creative.

Your pics of Wordless Wednesday made me envious. Your area is beautiful.

I've been very lax about the blog for the last month: the weather has been so great that I haven't been thinking about it. Maybe I'll try for a Wordless Wednesday this week.

Laura

I've been very lax about the blog for the last month: the weather has been so great that I haven't been thinking about it. Maybe I'll try for a Wordless Wednesday this week.
I hadn't realized you changed sites and so thought you'd been lax far longer than that. :lol:

My 7th grader has about 400-500 assigned pages a week in just literature and history, another 50 or so for geography and science and her independent reading is nuts, I brought home the newest Sister's Grimm from the library at 3 and she had it read by 7, so another 304 pages in one day.

I guess for school 1600-2500 and another 1500-? for fun.

My ds can go through 400-600 pages in an evening easily, and that doesn't count any time during the day he might read. Yesterday, he spent most of his day inside, reading, and so probably read 1000 pages. It varies, though - some days, he plays outside most of the day, so his only reading time is in the evening. Even so, with a conservative estimate of 400 pages a night, that's 12,000 a month. (And these are just books - he likes to read magazines while he eats - I've had to make a rule that he can't read during dinner at night, but is allowed to during breakfast and lunch. . .)

Dd is reading about 150-300 pages in an evening, but she isn't as apt to spend her whole day indoors reading, so I'll estimate about 5000 pages a month for her.