Menu

How long for a pair of sneakers for a boy?

Is it my boy? Is it the sports he's in? Is it the sneakers? Or is it just that he's a boy period?

I sent ds with dh to buy sneakers and it seems recent! As in probably April. They are worn out already! He does wear his sneakers all the time. He participates in flag football and tennis, each one day a week for about an hour. Since I know he will outgrow them quickly, we buy them at Target. But they are least the expensive Target sneakers. No not Converse, not for him.

He's 8. Is barely 8 weeks normal for sneakers? Just wondering...

Mine tear through shoes quickly too. Sears Kidvantage (?) program has been a gift. You can return/replace damaged shoes and clothing in the same size for free. I think we are on our 3rd pair of athletic shoes for each of my 3 boys. Sears also has great sales, so you can often get shoes cheap. Just keep your reciept:D.

Best wishes,

My son is 10 years old and wears a size adult 9-10 shoe. He grows out of them (usually) faster than he wears them out. However, he always destroys the shoes we buy at WalMart... they just don't hold up long enough to justify the cheaper price (so sad). I would assume Targe is not much different.

His last shoes came from Kohls & I got a great deal. His shoes from JCPenney have been tough also.

Is there a Famous Footwear near you? They have name brands, and I think they're always buy one get one half off.

I usually get New Balance shoes for my kids, and they really last longer (if not outgrown) and are usually in the upper 30's - $40 range. Not as bad. Famous Footwear carries them too.

I even had to wash dd's when they were just about a week old and they came out like new.

My 13 year old is a skateboarder and can easily go through shoes in 3 - 4 weeks regularly. If he didn't skate it wouldn't be anywhere near that bad. Previous to that it was every 4 - 6 months, I guess. It's been so long, I'm pretty sure that's about right. My non-skateboarder is 6mths at least.

Edited: However, I forgot to add the non-skater is also not much of a sports, outsider type guy.

My 7 year old GIRL goes thru shoes like that. She's just rough on them. My 9 yr old son makes a mess out of his shoes but they're usable for a good 3-4 months most times. We have outdoor shoes, which are basically just another pair of tennis shoes that is for outside play only. We do that b/c they were tearing up their sneakers so fast that they always looked raggedy so we have the one pair they wear for playing outside and the other pair for when we leave the house. Before we had the indoor/outdoor sneaker system, they went thru sneakers like water. Probably 2-3 months if I recall...

Is there a Famous Footwear near you? They have name brands, and I think they're always buy one get one half off.

I usually get New Balance shoes for my kids, and they really last longer (if not outgrown) and are usually in the upper 30's - $40 range. Not as bad. Famous Footwear carries them too.

I even had to wash dd's when they were just about a week old and they came out like new.

I second the New Balance shoes. My ds only wears sneakers and the New Balance last well.

Melissa

My ds is in a growth spurt and so he hasn't been wearing out shoes, just outgrowing them. :glare: However my dh is very hard on shoes. He wears tennis shoes to work and goes through a pair in about 4-6 months. He has found New Balance seems to last the longest for him as well.

It's the brand plus the activity. We tried a Target skate type sneaker...completely shredded in 6 weeks. Nike, Etnies, and New Balance hold up for about 6 months. Kohl's and Sears are the best values here; occasionally Sam's.

We dedicate one pair of sneakers to sports/outside and one pair for school/community activities.

Worn-out within a month or two. He's a baseball player, so he doesn't even wear his tennis shoes when he's playing ball. However, he plays hard outside and wears them out fast. My girls love crocs, they last a long time. He won't even consider those.

His shoes get stinky quickly, too. :tongue_smilie:

Ds wears Converse All Stars. He has yet to wear a pair out before outgrowing them. He wears them for weekly PE classes, regular pick-up games of soccer and football, scootering in the street, and lots of plain old running around. They are the shoes he wears 95% of the time.

I did pay a little more for them than I would have for Target sneakers (and I can't say if there's a quality difference between the Target One Stars and the regular All Stars), but considering how much wear he's gotten from them, I feel good about the money.

We have a Shoe Dept and I get New Balance sneakers for my DS also. They really hold up. Also, my DS has a long, narrow foot so the New Balance just fit him better.

I think part of what you are experiencing is probably because of the quality of the shoes. We tried sneakers from Wal-mart before and they fell apart after about 4 weeks.

FWIW, my DS has a pair of Converse that he wore a HOLE in the sole....within 6 weeks. :001_huh: The rest of the shoes look great....but there's a hole in the bottom. :lol:

I use to get the sueded van like sneakers from target when my teens were small they lasted 3-4months. My 9 year old has vans he's had for 5 months and they still look great and he and his friends play hard just about every day. I usually find his size on clearance at Kohls.

New Balance here also. They have lasted my oldest ds forever, and he's rough on shoes. I would say if you have a skateboarder, you need to go with Vans or Etnies, or the like. You can get some good deals if you shop around on-line. I gave up buying Walmart/Target sneakers for my kids. They just don't last. I wear New Balance as well...I can get about 6 months out of them before they start to break down. My dh tells me I need to have one pair of sneakers for normal wearing and one pair for running/exercising. Maybe he's right? :p

My son is 10 years old and wears a size adult 9-10 shoe.

When ER was 12 and I bought him size 12 shoes, I was sure his feet would grow as big as my brother's (size 14/15, depending on the shoe). Fortunately, that didn't happen. His feet stopped growing at about age 12, so at age 18, he still wears size 12 (and in some shoes he wears size 11).

He grows out of them (usually) faster than he wears them out. However, he always destroys the shoes we buy at WalMart... they just don't hold up long enough to justify the cheaper price (so sad). I would assume Targe is not much different.

We tried Walmart shoes too, with the same result. It was always better to buy a good brand. Nike fit ER's foot well, and lasted a LONG time.