Menu

Wood floor care question

I have the prefinished wood floors and I mix a little oil soap in warm water in my sink and use an old fingertip towel that I wet in the soap water. I just stick it on my Swiffer and mop away! I rinse it out in the soap water and continue on until all the floors are done. The floors look clean and shiny when I'm done!

Kirsten

We have the older type wood floors and they are a pain! How do you keep the black stuff off the kids feet? My father has this as well and he doesn't have kids. I sweep my floors at least 5-7 times a day and mop at least 3!!! Even when I just mopped the bottom of the kids feet look dirty from the floor!!! Why is this and what can I do? I've never heard of Bona....will it work?

All I can say is that this is the 3rd house we've had with some wood flooring, and the kids feet aren't black from walking barefoot on the floor. And I'm not a fantastic housekeeper. ;) So maybe Bona is really that much of a fabulous product! I have found it on the shelf at the grocery store, hardware store, etc. - it comes in a white container with a picture of a floor and child's feet standing on the floor.

The oldest flooring in any of those 3 houses was ~20 years, so perhaps an older floor will require more work to get clean initially.

Good luck on achieving clean floors and feet!!

Shelly

I've had two houses with wood floors. My last house had a polyurethane finish. I cleaned it with vinegar and water, and it just glowed. It was beautiful.

My present house has prefinished wood floors. It's different. The finish is more like a plastic coating, similar to a laminate, but clear, over real wood. Anyway, I use plain water to clean it. The finish is amazing in that nothing really sticks to it. Everything comes off with water. If I add anything to the water, it leaves a residue. Vinegar leaves spots. Any kind of soap or detergent leaves a film. Plain water works best. I just bought a steamer, but I haven't tried it yet.

All I can say is that this is the 3rd house we've had with some wood flooring, and the kids feet aren't black from walking barefoot on the floor. And I'm not a fantastic housekeeper. ;) So maybe Bona is really that much of a fabulous product! I have found it on the shelf at the grocery store, hardware store, etc. - it comes in a white container with a picture of a floor and child's feet standing on the floor.

The oldest flooring in any of those 3 houses was ~20 years, so perhaps an older floor will require more work to get clean initially.

Good luck on achieving clean floors and feet!!

Shelly

It must be the older floor thing. I will have to try Bona though. It's such a pain as we have to make the kids where house shoes all the time. My floor looks immaculate from all the sweeping and mopping but, like Melissa said, those poor kids piggies tell another story. I even get down on my hands and knees once a month with a sponge (the kind you would wash dishes with) and scrub EVERY INCH of the hardwood. That means a living room, hallway, 3 bedrooms, a classroom, and 2 bathrooms!! It takes HOURS but I keep thinking it will work and, sure enough, STILL black piggies!!

Melissa,

I feel your pain. ;) I can't wait until we move and although I love the old flooring, this is the way it has been in the last two homes we have lived in. BOTH had the older flooring so I don't know. Maybe it needs sanded and refinished? I've always wondered about how the newer floors are so smooth and the older ones typically have little grooves, etc. where I guess the way they made them back then. I wonder if it holds the dirt in some way or another. I think the older floors are much more beautiful looking than some of the stuff they have out now but, boy is it a pain to keep up with!

when we bought our house it was only 6 years old but the wood floors were REALLY beaten up due to three large dogs that lived here. NOTHING I did cleaned the floors. I washed them ALL THE TIME and I know exactly what you're talking about. We have maple flooring and the polyeurothane had chipped off.

We had them sanded and refinished a couple of years back and now I only need to wash them once or twice per week, and our socks remain white ALL THE TIME!!! :thumbup: I only wish I had regularly dust mopped them or swept them. I think it's the vacuum leaving the scratches on the polyeurothane. When we have them redone again I'm going to try just dust mopping them.

My present house has prefinished wood floors. It's different. The finish is more like a plastic coating, similar to a laminate, but clear, over real wood.

This is what we have. My problem is that we have white spots from where things were spilled, then cleaned up (maybe not soon enough). What should I use? Is there something that will make the spots disappear?