Menu

Sunscreen for kids sensitive skin??

My ds is severely allergic to sunscreen/block. After trying so many brands and so many research on the sunscreens, we decided to opt out of sunscreen for him. We watch his exposure to the sun. We are goign to try the natural Sunscreen that Dr. Mercola's website recommends this summer. We do see that the research have stated that the skin cancer have risen since sunscreen came onto the market. why? I do not know but I am still doing research on it. Vit. D is very important. So all we do is watch sun exposure and go from there.

Holly

My ds is severely allergic to sunscreen/block. After trying so many brands and so many research on the sunscreens, we decided to opt out of sunscreen for him. We watch his exposure to the sun. We are goign to try the natural Sunscreen that Dr. Mercola's website recommends this summer. We do see that the research have stated that the skin cancer have risen since sunscreen came onto the market. why? I do not know but I am still doing research on it. Vit. D is very important. So all we do is watch sun exposure and go from there.

Holly

Us, too, although the reaction isn't severe, just lots of icthy bumps. We only use sunscreen when our parents fly us somewhere hot (which has happened twice.) I find using an unscented mineral based one is much better.

Have you tried physical instead of chemical blockers? Mustela and Blue Lizard Baby are physical (zinc oxide) sunscreens. They are very effective against UVB rays, but can be whitening. We get Blue Lizard at CVS for our dd whose face burns with chemical sunscreens. Mustela I generally get at Baby Boutiques.

We also use California Baby products. They are WONDERFUL, but I think only available by mail.
They're available in upscale grocery stores. We stopped used California Baby because many of their products contained parabens, but all their products have since been reformulated. We especially like their children's bath products; they're expensive, but a little goes a long way.

I've never had any trouble with Neutrogena, which was recommended by our dermatologist.

One major rule we follow is this: We try to stay out of the sun unless our shadows are longer than we are tall.

We also use hats, sunglasses and lots of clothes, and we are especially careful in overcast weather.

(Rebecca, who is auburn-haired, fair-skinned and freckle-bodied.)

When my dd was younger, she had a reaction to most sunscreens out there. We got to a point where I'd squeeze a tiny amount at the store and spread it on her skin somewhere, because it was just way too expensive to trial them all. Even with that tiny amount (yes, I felt horrible for doing it, as someone else bought that bottle for full price.. it really was less than a pea sized bit), she would react.

Finally, I took her to the doctor at a clinic, and he said he suffered a similar problem, and had found Ombrelle to be the only one that he could wear. I bought a bottle (very expensive) and forutnately, it worked. I bought the regular adult variety over the child version because there were fewer ingredients in the adult version. She used it successfully for years. Then one day we ran out. I skeptically tried a tiny bit of whatever brand my parents had on hand (a really cheap brand from walmart), and she didn't react. Both she and I were expecting red, itchy rash, but it didn't happen.

So, you might find a pharmacist who will let you try a bit of Ombrelle on your son before buying (it's expensive). But, my dd outgrew her reaction, and she's 11 now, so it's possible your son's reaction is here to stay, or more severe to begin with.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

We used to use Ombrelle but somewhere along the line, something changed and he now reacts to it. He's already 13 so this may be with us forever.

And the really annoying thing is that he doesn't react on the first use. It takes a couple of applications for those bumps to appear.

I'll be checking out these types and I'll check the adult versions as well.

Luckily, the rest of us are not sensitive so anything he reacts to just goes to the rest of us.