Menu

Are you a homeschooling ambassador?

On Thursday I got a call from a friend in town inviting me to lunch. When I got there it turned out she was desperate. Her son is having a horrible time in school. She's at her wits' end and she's decided she wants to homeschool. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

We ended up talking for three hours, and I didn't get how serious she was until near the end. She had worked herself up into a tizzy about how to tell her dh. She thought he'd say "no way." I just said, "Maybe he'll surprise you."

She called the next day to tell me her husband agreed and they're starting after break. I'm so surprised.

This isn't the first time someone's looked in at what we're doing and decided to do it, too. How about you? Have you ended up influencing the schooling choices other people have made just by "being yourselves" and homeschooling?

Yes, I am. I get phone calls all the time from people wanting to homeschool. Recently I had 2 different calls from people who had already taken their sons out of school. When I asked where they got my name, they said the school district office had told them to call me and I would tell them everything they wanted to know. That was a big shock. Sometimes I know the people that call me , somtimes I don't. We have homeschooled since 1986.

God bless,

Vicki

I would have been one of the last people to consider homeschooling myself. I sort of 'fell' into it. Now that we do, we love it!

3 of my friends have asked me about it, all of them like me, I would never think they would "convert". 2 already have and the other will after this school year. They got interested after seeing how 'relaxed' we are, how awful the schools are here, and how 'normal' dd seems to be.:)

I am on a mission to get more to convert now!:D

I have several friends who have teetered on the fence, and I've talked with them and lent them books.

One was determined that her kids were never going back to That School, and homeschooled them through K12 for 6 months until they moved to another state and went back to PS. For them it was a desperate measure.

One wanted to do it, started for a couple of months, but found her older son too difficult. I suspect that she may try it again sometime.

One will probably do it if PS starts not working for her kids, but her son loves school and would be pretty resistant to her teaching him.

And one would be homeschooling with or without me, but I've lent her things and we've talked. Her older, teenage son's experience has soured her on PS, and she has a 4yo she plans to homeschool all the way through.

Hmmm, I didn't think I converted anyone, but I did help my sister. I didn't think about it right away because she does Abeka videos, doesn't feel she's capable of teaching, but I think I gave her the confidence that homeschooling wasn't weird. My friend Jean is a GREAT ambassador though!!! She converted me and my friend, Kathy, and I don't know how many others. It's awesome because the three of us try to go out once a month and just brainstorm over school and life in general!

i've had a few friends who became interested largely because they liked what they saw going on in our home. i have a friend right now who is HSing and loves it, that got started after they saw it working for us!

i have also had neighbors come to me asking about it. one out of the blue that lives on the other side of the neighborhood! lol. she just showed up one day desperate and said "can you please tell me about homeschooling!"

I didn't even read this thread (until Lori sent it my way) because I didn't think it really applied to me! I think Lori and KIN are my only 'converts' :) but there are at least 8 moms now that are using very similar curriculum as me. not all because of me, it's more of a ripple effect :)