Menu

13 incubated duck eggs hatched! (pics)

And they *do* have egg teeth when they hatch :D

Here is a picture of one hatching. You can see it's little bill sticking out.:laugh:

May2009200.jpg

May2009189.jpg

May2009192.jpg

Naptime!

May2009187.jpg

My daughter's favorite: meet Boris.

May2009215.jpg

First swim. We learned that they need to be introduced to water quickly or they will be afraid of it later.

May2009208.jpg

They were unsure at first, but eventually began to enjoy it--jumping in and out, and just standing and squatting in it!

They're cute.

Anybody want a duckling?

First swim. We learned that they need to be introduced to water quickly or they will be afraid of it later.

Interesting. 25 years ago when we incubated duck eggs we were told by experienced people(so they knew what they were talking about, right ? ;) ) to not let the ducklings in water until they were feathered and were preening themselves. The rationale was in the wild the mother's oil glands would provide enough oil to protect the ducklings, without that oil the water would saturate the down to the skin and chill the ducklings, possibly even letting them drown. We followed that instruction and never had a problem with the ducklings being afraid of water later. They took to it like....like ducks to water.:001_smile:

Interesting. 25 years ago when we incubated duck eggs we were told by experienced people(so they knew what they were talking about, right ? ;) ) to not let the ducklings in water until they were feathered and were preening themselves. The rationale was in the wild the mother's oil glands would provide enough oil to protect the ducklings, without that oil the water would saturate the down to the skin and chill the ducklings, possibly even letting them drown. We followed that instruction and never had a problem with the ducklings being afraid of water later. They took to it like....like ducks to water.:001_smile:

I'm glad you had that success! We had the opposite problem. We bought some that were terrified of water! :lol: And I recently read that they need to get in the water quickly. I'm glad yours did well, even though were older. Maybe it depends on the ducks.

I was careful to not let them be in the water too long. I replaced the damp bedding, and they of course had the heat lamp close to them to warm back up. I also made sure they had warm water to get in. They seemed to do well. I won't let them be in for very long at a time. I was thinking this morning that they don't have that 'water proofing' right now, because they don't have their mamas with them.

Thanks for the info. I feel better since you told me that; I don't feel as much pressure to get them in the water frequently. I want them to get in the pond, but it is a bit of an ordeal to swim them right now!

We have ducklingss, too. They are my favorite farm animal ever-- so funny. I can't imagine a duck not liking water. You can't keep ours out of it--they get in their drinking water and mess it all up. Ours are Indian Runners.

Jenny in Atl, you don't need a pond. Our ducks do love water, but they don't need it. We don't have a pond... they just waddle around and eat bugs. And make me laugh.

Margaret

This is correct. No duck could ever be afraid of water! Funny! They take to it as naturally as one would imagine, no matter how old they are introduced to it. A duckling should not be put in water to swim until they are older and can retain body heat. They could get chilled and die. It is true that the mother coats her ducklings with oil from her glands that they have yet to develope. This oil prevents the water from soaking to the ducklings skin and chilling it. It also helps with bouyancy. We never let our ducklings in water until they are about 4 weeks old. It is safe to do it younger if it is very warm weather and you make sure they are warm and dry after. Have fun with them! We raise 4 breeds of duck and we love them! You can see pictures on out blog.

This is correct. No duck could ever be afraid of water!

We must have gotten a batch of s-t-r-a-n-g-e ducks last year then. :lol: Of course, if anyone gets ducks that won't go in the water, it would be us! :D

It took them so long to go in! And then they wouldn't go out very far. We used to stand and watch the pond, "HEY! Look how far out the ducks are!" lol.

Hopefully these ducks will like water.

It also helps with bouyancy. We never let our ducklings in water until they are about 4 weeks old. It is safe to do it younger if it is very warm weather and you make sure they are warm and dry after.

Hmmm...now what should I do? I don't want more ducks that hate water. But I don't want to chill these. Decisions decisions.:001_huh:

Tracy, I'm thinking your ducks last year were imprinted with you(or your family) as their mother. They probably would have jumped right in the water if you had gone in first. We incubated Pekins from our own breeding stock, and put them with the older ducks as they grew, so when they were old enough to go in the water without worries, they followed the other ducks.

Edited by OHGrandma

Hmmm...now what should I do? I don't want more ducks that hate water. But I don't want to chill these. Decisions decisions.:001_huh:

You already said you made sure they had dry bedding and a heat lamp. If you provide those things and don't leave them in the water long enough to get chilled, you'll be OK letting them play in the water some.

We have ducklingss, too. They are my favorite farm animal ever-- so funny. I can't imagine a duck not liking water. You can't keep ours out of it--they get in their drinking water and mess it all up. Ours are Indian Runners.

Jenny in Atl, you don't need a pond. Our ducks do love water, but they don't need it. We don't have a pond... they just waddle around and eat bugs. And make me laugh.

Margaret

Yes, we raised ducks when I was a kid. In the summers we used to set up a wading pool for the ducks to enjoy... when it was time to refresh the water, we just dumped the dirty water in the garden. I cannot for the life of me remember how old they were when we introduced them to water. I know they were still small but maybe not still fuzzy.

Now that we're in a rural area, we don't have ducks! LOL. Our neighbor has a lovely pond with lots of ducks and geese, and I doubt we could entice ducks to stay here with us for very long when the neighbor's house is so much more appealing. :D

Margaret

But do they lay eggs? Could I get both? We only have an acre in a subdivision (blah). Lots of issues with cats & foxes too.