Menu

I want to lose weight, but I just ate a piece of cake

Bad! Bad!

What I really want, believe it or not, is some zucchini or summer squash. :001_smile: I need to get to the store tomorrow.

This was funny: tonight, after I put dd5 in bed, she got up a few minutes later because she was hungry. After lecturing her that she should have eaten more at supper time, etc..., eventually I offered her a piece of bread. She said, "I don't want bread! I want vegetables!":lol:

well, look at it this way. 1 piece is not the whole cake so you are fine. Portions are important and you were able to maintain self control enough for a portion of cake, not the whole cake so you did fine.

Next time if you are feeling guilty now you can try to skip or eat those veggies instead of the cake.

Def. go shopping if the children are asking for more vegggies.

:tongue_smilie:

well, look at it this way. 1 piece is not the whole cake so you are fine. Portions are important and you were able to maintain self control enough for a portion of cake, not the whole cake so you did fine.

The rest of it is calling to me. I'm going to bed in a minute. I can't eat when I'm asleep.

This is the second cake we've had in the house in 3 days. We had cupcakes a couple of days before that. This cake one is more than half gone, and the other one is gone. We had a Memorial Day get together/birthday party at our house. We finished off the cupcakes before Monday so we wouldn't have any of that left since we'd have cake soon. I made a 2-layer round birthday cake, using 2 cake mixes (2 different flavors). I froze one layer of each flavor, and used the other two for the birthday cake. When that was gone, we decided we liked it so much that I thawed and frosted the rest of it.

I think you are subconsciously feeling threatened by the thought of a 'diet', which has a negative meaning of 'doing without favorite foods', 'starving', 'being miserable'. Your brain doesn't want you to be undernourished, so you are providing those tempting sweets as a kind of insurance that you won't starve. Ask me how I know. ;) If you get all sorts of tasty veggies and things in the fridge and have them available, your mind won't be centered on what you don't have or what foods you aren't supposed to eat. Remember that no foods are an enemy, and almost everything can be eaten in reasonable portions. Allow yourself small treats like a luscious piece of dark chocolate or something, without any guilt feelings but instead happy contented feelings. Food isn't the enemy, but the threat of deprivation is! So if cake is what you crave, make a beautiful and healthy one and enjoy a piece, and keep moving forward. Hang in there~

I agree: throw the cake away and mash it into the garbage.

I've kept 50 lbs. off for five years now and I learned that when you do "stupid" things like that you actually gain strength. I'm not kidding. It's almost like your fat cells say, "gee, she seems to be serious."

My mother in law brought over a beautiful bakery bought carrot cake for my birthday about five years ago and I took it to the neighbors. I'll never forget doing that.

A friend once gave me a ton of Christmas cookies (re-gifted) and I demanded that dh take them to work.

You do a few of those dramatic things and you gain pride in yourself.

ALSO -- and this is a big ALSO -- I did not lose weight by primly and properly eating veggies. I still had a piece of cake here and there and a donut etc. Don't do the "all or nothing" thing to yourself. It's the surest way to do your weight loss plan in!!

Good Luck!

Alicia

I think you are subconsciously feeling threatened by the thought of a 'diet', which has a negative meaning of 'doing without favorite foods', 'starving', 'being miserable'. Your brain doesn't want you to be undernourished, so you are providing those tempting sweets as a kind of insurance that you won't starve.

I'm not sure...the only diet I ever put myself on was Atkins, and even then I just did the lifetime maintenance part. I loved it, and I loved the food. I lost weight and felt healthier than ever! I grew up eating lots of garden veggies, but when I did low-carb, I think I ate even more veggies. And I enjoy being able to eat eggs, cheese, meat, nuts, etc... on a low carb diet, and still lose weight. So except for cutting way back on sugar, I didn't feel deprived. I did find some good sugar free chocolates, though, to get me through.

If you get all sorts of tasty veggies and things in the fridge and have them available, your mind won't be centered on what you don't have or what foods you aren't supposed to eat.

I got to the store today. I got summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, strawberries, apples, bananas (they're for the kids, I can't stand them), and muskmelon (cantalope to the rest of you).

I turned over a new leaf last night. All day yesterday I felt so bad about my size, weight, and how I (don't) fit into my clothes. And kept indulging myself all day. So last night, in bed, I finally decided THAT'S IT! I'm starting over tomorrow. And I'm going to read my Atkins book again after I finish the WTM book (almost done).

I agree: throw the cake away and mash it into the garbage.

:001_unsure: While I can't quite bring myself to do that, I will leave it for dh and dc.

ALSO -- and this is a big ALSO -- I did not lose weight by primly and properly eating veggies. I still had a piece of cake here and there and a donut etc. Don't do the "all or nothing" thing to yourself. It's the surest way to do your weight loss plan in!!

I promise to treat myself now & then. But no cake for now.

Thanks!

I'm doing Weight Watchers, without the group. My mom gave me all the books. I'm not a joiner, but the points system is working pretty well, and the extra, flexible points, let you splurge on a slice of cake, when necessary :)

Since I've started losing weight, I've been having nightmares that I'm lost in a sea of thin people and my family doesn't recognize me. It makes me want to eat entire cakes, for fear of losing my identity, how's that for wierd psychological connections?

If I want to lose weight, I do not keep cake or other junk food in the house. It's not good for dh, dd, or anybody else. I no longer see sugary items as "treats" but as detrimental to our health. Btw, I am a former junk food junkie, and one piece, bite, etc was never enough for me. I have found that the cravings go away whether I give into them or not. : D

We are all doing this imperfectly though, and I just begin again tomorrow and assess whether it is supportive for your goals to have junk food in the house. It is merely a habit like any other, and you can be successful at breaking it.

It is not a bad idea to make healthier alternatives such as carrot cake made with whole wheat, made without sugar, but sweetened with raisins/pineapple. That way, I can eat something sweet without tripping myself up. For some reason, the raw sugar and fruit doesn't trip my trigger the way the white sugar does. The white sugar/white flour lead me to SHARK-like feeding frenzy, where there is no satiety no matter how much I feed my face!

Chin up, you can do it!