Menu

A Reason for Handwriting or Getty-Dubay

irizarry4

Trying to choose a handwriting program for my kiddos, 2nd and 5th grade. I know some of you love it, but I haven't considere HWT because handwriting does not bring tears to my children. LOL. They actually like it.

RFH - I love the books. They're so pretty. And the blank sheets with borders....

Getty-Dubay - Is really popular, at least on this board. Apparently effective.

Your thoughts on which to choose? It would be nice to have more compelling reasons than the above for my decision. ha, ha, ha!

I like A Reason for Handwriting. It's a nice program, and it's worked well with my #2 ds who is a very reluctant writer.

I also like Happy Handwriting and Cheerful Cursive from Mastery Publications.

I used Getty-Dubay with my oldest son for a little while, but we didn't really like it, plus my dh shuddered over the look of it :D

We started out with Getty-Dubay and we are switching. DD wants to write in "real cursive". She also wants to be able to read it.

My handwriting was atrocious and my grip has always been wrong, so I did a lot of it with her. Getty-Dubay is not a continuous stroke cursive. It can be cumbersome.

We are switching to either Zaner-Bloser or McRuffy b/c they have a continuous stroke manuscript and I thought that might make the switch easier for us.

Thank you, Lovedtodeath and Sparkle!

I downloaded a couple of Getty-Dubay pages today and tried to write their cursive today. It was awkward for me. I can buy into their reasoning, but I think I'll feel like your DD, who thinks it's not real cursive... :-)

My daughter likes Getty-Dubay. The cursive letters are formed pretty much the same way as the printed letters, just connected together. She didn't really like learning the loopy letters of standard cursive because some of the letters seemed so different from the printed ones. We started later on with Getty-Dubay - about 4th grade, and she's used the upper levels and enjoyed them. There are some fun bits of history tucked into the workbooks as well. My daughter's handwriting has improved a lot with the Getty -Dubay books. If you go for the loopy letter look though, it's probably not for you. The Getty-Dubay method tends to look more like calligraphy.

K twins (b&g) did HWFaReason A then finished B in first grade. My 1st grade boy now second grade is done B then C for cursive. There is not much instruction on holding the pencil. I love the biblical format and it went well with a focus to learn our AWANA verses. I will move the twins into C for cursive in 2nd grade. I will not be using any further product for my older son. He will get all kinds writing with FLL3 and notebooking for science and history. These are understood to meet his handwriting requirements for elementary school. Trust me, if his handwriting worsens, toward his father's illegible script, the older boy will definitely go back to a guided program. Hope you enjoy your choice as we have ours.

Dd 10 is a lefty. And she finished the last GD workbook last week. My dh is a lefty too and his biggest concern when we started homeschooling was for her to have legible handwriting. Her handwriting is beautiful. :001_smile:

My ds 6 is a righty and he's gotten so many compliments on his handwriting from mom's we co-op with on Fridays. His handwriting is pretty.

DD 8, my ADHDer, is the only one with atrocious handwriting. She's doing GD, just finished book C. It's getting better. It is legible though and I know that if she had a ton of unique strokes to learn it would be alot worse. There is a consistency with GD joins that is really helpful to her.

The jury is still out for ds 3 and dd 2. They haven't yet begun. :D

I haven't looked at RFW, so can't compare them. I chose GD for my boys because there's been some indication that this style of writing is simpler for boys to master. Also, I've read in past that with this style of writing, students can maintain cursive for notetaking, etc. as they get into high school and college, rather than reverting to printing, as many do, if they've learned a more traditional cursive writing style.

I know that I reverted to printing for note taking, and later developed a style of cursive all my own that turns out to be more similar to GD. I've read that this has happened for others, as well. So GD made sense for me and seems to have worked well for both my boys, too.

Other than that, I don't specifically prefer any one type of writing style over another.

I chose Getty-Dubay b/c it is so similar to the connected printing style that I came up with on my own (only it's much prettier). Traditional cursive has never been easy for me and I stopped using it as soon as they stopped requiring it in elementary school.