Menu

What to do re swollen ankles?

I had the bright idea of taking my kids to Portland for 5 days when I was 32 weeks pregnant. Now after spending 5 hours at the zoo one day, 5 hours at OMSI another day, and 6 hours today looking at waterfalls and visiting the children's museum, my ankles have puffed up. I've never had swelling during pregnancy before and since it came after 15 hours of walking in 3 days, I'm thinking it's due to too much walking rather than pre-eclampsia. I hope.

So, I'm in Portland until tomorrow. What can I do about my ankles?

This does not mean to just put your feet up, it means to elevate your feet above your heart. The best way I found was to lay on the sofa with several pillows under my feet - but be creative. You can have the kids wait on you while you do this for at least an hour at a time. And please don't forget to drink water/liquids too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I had the bright idea of taking my kids to Portland for 5 days when I was 32 weeks pregnant. Now after spending 5 hours at the zoo one day, 5 hours at OMSI another day, and 6 hours today looking at waterfalls and visiting the children's museum, my ankles have puffed up. I've never had swelling during pregnancy before and since it came after 15 hours of walking in 3 days, I'm thinking it's due to too much walking rather than pre-eclampsia. I hope.

So, I'm in Portland until tomorrow. What can I do about my ankles?

Cut down on salt

Elevate This means ankles above the level of the hip!!

Try to take a break midday and elevate for a bit

support stockings, like TEDS, or in a pinch, ACE wrap.

Hope you are having fun.

We got home Tuesday afternoon and have been recovering from the trip. We did enough during the weekend that counts as school that I was able to give the kids the rest of the week off from school (virtual academy requires a certain number of hours per week).

My ankles are back to normal. DD and I, however, are sick. She had a fever (101.2) on Tuesday that was gone within 10 hours. However, Thursday night she woke up crying from ear pain. Doctor said her ears were really bad. I expected as much because the kids and I don't feel pain with ear infections until they are really bad, as in very close to rupturing. So she's now on antibiotics for it. I am fighting a sinus infection. That's pretty typical for me. I deal with thick, opaque, colored drainage year around; a few times a year it turns into a full-blown, painful, sinus infection. I'm burying my head in the sand and trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

But, other than that, we're doing good.

Have you removed dairy from your diet? That took all that junk away for me and my family.

I know that I probably should. I'm intermittently lactose intolerant so it would make sense to eliminate it. However, I had to eliminate it from my diet for a year and a half due to my daughter being allergic to whey. I never got over craving it and was very unhappy trying to find food I liked to eat without it. You'd think that after a year and a half, you'd get used to it being gone.

I elevated them for a couple of hours the best that I could...and I soaked them in ice cold water.

Since I'm still at the hotel with three kids, I'm limited to what I can do.

DRINK>>>DRINK>>>DRINK>>>PEEE>>>PEEE>>>PEEEE

Drink and pee.

Broccoli is good as it reduces swelling (eat it...it is a diuretic.)

But water, water, water and keep those legs elevated....lie down...stuff a pillow under your feet...call room service and watch movies with those kiddoes.

Hope you feel better soon,

Faithe