Menu

Need a book rec. to help me understand Revelation better.

I'm looking for an evangelical Christian perspective on Revelation -- easy to read and really eye opening. I just don't understand it, and I figure after being a Christian for 23 years, it's about time!

Well, I don't know about the "easy to read" factor :D but I personally like "Things to Come" by J. Dwight Pentecost. It is the book my college professor assigned for our eschatology class (I'm getting a master's degree in theology). One I haven't read but is on myy amazon wishlist is "Because the Time is Near" by John MacArthur.

Did you know there are two very different takes on Revelations.

Both Christian.

I think one is reconstructionist? Reformed? I can't remember.

My best friend summed it up to me a while back and basically there is a theory that how you interpret the entire Bible should also be applied to Revelations and when you do it that way - it's not so much a once in a life time prophesy, but a warning to the church at that time and a note that throughout all of history it will be repeated. The same cycle over and over. It's happened before, it will happen again.

It's not the whole "missing people in the rapture end of the world" that I grew up with.

Maybe someone here will know more - I'm not really religious.

I'll ask my friend for a book suggestion.

I just noticed "evangelical" in your post.

I have no idea what that means - but ignore my post if it offends you, that's not the intention.

Karen,

Your post does not offend. :)

Maybe Heather can comment!

I know their are different thoughts as to when exactly Christ will return, but maybe that's a totally different thing than what your friend is talking about.

Heather...thanks for the book recommendations. The second one looked more up my ally. I don't think I could read a 600 page book on it (and I didn't like the font!!!!! LOL).

Caralyn :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Oh my! I have been thinking about this myself very recently and I am planning on purchasing More Than Conquerors by William Hendrikson which is a classic book on the subject. I prefer the approach of using the Bible to interpret itself. This book tends to be more historical/ amillenial.

Karen,

Your post does not offend. :)

Maybe Heather can comment!

I know their are different thoughts as to when exactly Christ will return, but maybe that's a totally different thing than what your friend is talking about.

Heather...thanks for the book recommendations. The second one looked more up my ally. I don't think I could read a 600 page book on it (and I didn't like the font!!!!! LOL).

Caralyn :)

There are MANY views on eschatology. The books I suggested admittedly come from my own perspective (pre-trib, pre-mill).

For my own reading, I would pick the MacArthur book too! :D The Pentecost book was interesting but it is A LOT of information....very thorough but very dense.

:lurk5:I'm interested, too. I've been reading to my dc from The Book of Revelation each morning while they eat breakfast. We're not getting too worked up about the deeper meaning of things yet, but I'm finding the worship aspect to be very edifying. When it speaks of our prayers as something that is brought before the throne as worship, it is so precious!

I have been taught (in Bible College) from a pre-trib, pre-mill pov, but I'm really not sure if that's where I'm leaning anymore, and have kept our discussion fairly neutral, with an emphasis on the character of God, rather than the meaning of the bizarre revelations. That said, we are all coming up with questions, so I'd love to see some book recommendations that look at this puzzling text through fresh eyes.

Lori

Edited by LBC

There are four main methods of interpreting Revelation (1) Allegorical (2) Preterist (3) Historical and (4) futurist. Which one a person uses will greatly affect the interpretation of the book. The allegorical approach sees the Bible as an extensive allegory not to be taken literally. Preterists see most of the events of Revelation as having already been fulfilled. Those who hold to the historical view approach the book as if it is speaking about the events of the entire church age unfolding from the early church to the present. (4) Futurists understand the events of much of the book to be still future from today.

Generally, evangelicals fall into camps 2, 3 and 4. The writers Heather mentioned approach the book from the futurist position. Hendriksen is an evangelical writer who seems to fall within the preterist camp (I have his book More than Conquerors, a commentary on Revelation, but I have never read it).

Here are a couple of other suggestions for readings in the futurist category. Charles Ryrie has written a 127 page commentary on Revelation published by Moody Press. I suggest that one because it is brief, and because Ryrie writes very clearly.

Second, John Walvoord has written a commentary on Revelation as well, also published by Moody Press. However, another way to get that commentary is by getting the Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament Edition, edited by Zuck and Walvoord.

Finally, if you enjoy audio you can access some superb material at the website of Believers Chapel in Dallas Texas. In particular, several hundred Sunday School classes by Dr. S. Lewis Johnson are available for download for free. He was one of the greatest Bible expositors of the last century, and listening to his classes is very much like attending seminary for free. He taught at Dallas Seminary for many years and also taught at Believers Chapel.

He has recorded nearly 50 classes on the book of Revelation. In addition, if you want to learn about the differences between systems of interpretation, you can listen to his theological messages on eschatology and on the future of ethnic Israel.

All of these messages can be found at http://www.believerschapeldallas.org/OnlineMessages/tabid/55/Default.aspx

That may be more than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps.

I would recommend "Last Days Madness" buy Gary Demar; "The Book of Revelation Made Easy", "Before Jerusalem Fell", and "The Beast of Revelation" all by Kenneth Gentry; and "The Days of Vengeance" by David Chilton (I don't swallow everything he says, but it is still quite convincing and fascinating as far as his general thesis goes). These books are all written from the perspective that large parts of the book of Revelation have already been fulfilled.

We liked Missler's audio study, we have the mp3, he now has a DVD as well:

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1995/41/

Ah you beat me to it!! hehe :iagree: This would be a great resource to sift through while you're waiting for all those books to come in. ;) :D If you scroll down past the DVD and other resources you can see the links to the related topics discussed on his radio program. Those are absolutely free to listen to. Chuck Missler is a great Bible teacher with an incredible depth of knowledge. I wholeheartedly agree with Elizabeth in this study of Revelation. :)

Jennifer

Wow, so many great recommendations. I loved the breakdown of the four points of view people have on Revelation...very helpful in deciding which way I want to go in learning more about it.

The audio and dvd suggestions were also help. Perhaps dh would benefit from those as he isn't a print kind of guy.

Thanks, everyone, so much for all the helpful suggestions.

I am finishing up a book called Reversed Thunder by Eugene Peterson. It is a meditation on the themes of Revelation and their application to our current lives more than a "what the future will look like" kind of book. It has made me think and I have really enjoyed it.

Elaine