Menu

Reading Strands or Teaching the Classics

plain jane

Which to buy to help with literature study with elementary ages  

1. 1. Which to buy to help with literature study with elementary ages

• Reading Strands
    • Teaching the Classics
    • Both ;)
    • Neither (please list what you'd prefer to use)

I said neither because I wouldn't use any program with early to middle elementary aged students. I would wait till they are older.

It is one of the things I have appreciated about TWTM, is that it doesnt encourage much literary 'analysis' from a young age. It encourages loving books.

I have both of these programs, and I don't use either because I still haven't worked out how to do literary analysis beyond occasional reports and frequent discussions, without killing the love of the book.

Having said all that, if you are familiar with Writing Strands, and you like it, Reading Strands may work well for you. Some people really dislike Writing Strands. And although I have teaching the Classics, I haven't watched the DVDs yet because I just find watching lectures like that tedious.

So I am probably no use to you at all :)

I voted for Reading Strands. I'm not familiar with the other. Reading Strands has a nice list of literary terms with definitions for those of us GRIN who don't remember our English classes. It also has sample conversations demonstrating how a parent would discuss literature with children from very young on up. It has book lists, too, but I much prefer the ones from TWTM. It meshes with TWTM because it gives the terms and tells you what a conversation using TWTM questions could sound like.

I have Reading Strands and love what it says, but I still went ahead and bought Teaching the Classics. I learn very well from a lecture format, and I had a feeling that I would be able to better implement the Socratic Questioning from watching it in action than reading about it. Also, we have a book group and I wanted us to use this for a format, and I couldn't get anyone else to actually read the Reading Strands book (even though it's short). So we're all going to sit down and watch TtC together (perhaps bribed with chocolate). If I had a different learning style, Reading Strands is certainly much more affordable!

I've only watched the first TtC DVD, so I can't really review the whole series, but I think the basic premise is the same for both.

Okay, I voted neither as well. I have Teaching the Classics and think it will be great for middle school and up. I haven't seen Reading Strands so I can't really comment on it.

But I have Critical Conditioning and it is packed full of information designed as a reference source for k-8. Thanks for the reminder, I needed to dig it out and review it myself.

You read my mind! I was coming here to post the very same question. I have Reading Strands but have never implemented it. I've been waiting to find TTC used for a year and keep missing it by minutes. If you go to TTC website, there are now audio lectures you can download. I listened to the free one where he discusses A Bargain for Francis. All I can say is WOW! really opened my eyes. I listened to it w/ my 3rd grader and he enjoyed the discussion. I downloaded the $5 audio which uses the book about the Boy and the Bear as well. Now I'm thinking I have a good enough idea, I might just need the student book and I might get one of the lit guides as a guide. From what I've read, people like the TTC student guide for the extensive list of questions.

I don't know anything about Reading Strands, but Teaching the Classics can be used to teach young kids. I wouldn't do anything formal, but Teaching the Classics gives you the framework around which to teach kids literature and the starting points with young or older kids.

But I have Critical Conditioning and it is packed full of information designed as a reference source for k-8. Thanks for the reminder, I needed to dig it out and review it myself.

:iagree:This is an excellent resource. I come back to it again and again. Kathryn Stout discusses genre of literature, gives definitions for more literary terms than I've seen in one book, and has many questions and activities to use while discussing literature.

I also own Teaching the Classics, but I've held off on using it until my dc's get a bit older. I don't plan to use it as written. I think it's strength is on teaching story elements. It really doesn't cover much in the way of figurative language and literary terms.

HTH,

Jennifer