Menu

BJU, CLE or Math Mammoth?

mumkins

My first choice of those listed is Math Mammoth. She tries to teach the foundations of math instead of just formulas. Bob Jones does some of that as well. CLE is a good,straight-forward math program but doesn't have the conceptual aspect of Math Mammoth. BJU is mastery. CLE is spiral.

The length of time will depend on how fast the child works.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Well how about a combo you didn't ask for but might like: RightStart leading into BJU. I LOVE level B of RS and think it creates a fabulous foundation for place value, mental math, etc. I like the way they teach 4 digit subtraction in level C. And whatever level you complete in RS, you'll find it a smooth transition to BJU, which is very similar conceptually.

Guest 4boys

I haven't used CLE or BJU but we have just started into Math Mammoth (for Gr. 2) and we are both liking it. We used Horizons previously and it was too spirally (if that's a word :D).

I'm voting for BJU Math here. It took me a couple of years to make the plunge, but once I did the water is FANTASTIC! No, it's not too teacher intense, yes, it is worth the expense. The concept development and hands on activities are PRICELESS.

Well how about a combo you didn't ask for but might like: RightStart leading into BJU. I LOVE level B of RS and think it creates a fabulous foundation for place value, mental math, etc. I like the way they teach 4 digit subtraction in level C. And whatever level you complete in RS, you'll find it a smooth transition to BJU, which is very similar conceptually.

Since you went and mentioned RightStart, I will add that RS is hands down my absolute FIRST CHOICE for primary math.

I haven't used CLE or BJU but we have just started into Math Mammoth (for Gr. 2) and we are both liking it. We used Horizons previously and it was too spirally (if that's a word :D).

We just started it a couple weeks ago, too. We were using Saxon, and she was bored stiff. Now she seems happy with Math Mammoth. It gives her a nice challenge, and we can just stop when she starts to get tired, instead of trying to finish the scripted lesson. So far it seems to take us about 3 or 4 days to work through a section, depending on the length of the section, of course.

My ds struggled with the amount of problems in Horizons, and MUS just didn't work well for him. We just started CLE grade 3 and at the end of 2 weeks of using it, we are loving math again! I love the built in drill with their flashcard system. He loves the variety, and actually asks to do more when we finish a lesson now! (tears and frustration have turned into joy!)

The only thing he says he doesn't like is the lack of color. Not a big deal though.

Right now a lesson takes us about 30 minutes.

DD will finish up the Horizons book she has, then will be starting in the middle of CLE's grade 1 books. I think she will really like it as well.

It's been a frustrating year of math for us, but we are very happy we gave CLE a chance. :001_smile:

Math Mammoth is a great program; Maria Miller has tried to take the best components of several different programs and combine them into one curriculum: little to no parent prep, since the "teaching part" and the workbook part are all in one; clear simple explanations; lots of problems to work that start simple and become increasingly complex (the "Puzzle Corner" word problems are great); good clean layout with just the right amount of color; excellent help and support from the author, who is very accessible; inexpensive downloadable format, so you can use them with multiple kids.

Jackie

LOL, after talking with my kids, they want MUS! IDK...:confused:

I take it you don't want to use MUS? Well I wouldn't ask my dc what math to use. I talk with her a lot about her school stuff, always have, but I would have asked what they LIKE about xyz program or what they dislike. Then you take all that into consideration, along with the things you as an adult see that they don't, and decide.

BJU appeals to lots of different learner types, so it will have broad appeal.

I can speak for the 1st two programs. I haven't used Math Mammoth but have seen the samples and it looks like a math mastery program.

BJU is colorful and I've used it for my oldest for K,1,2,and 3rd grades. We haven't used 4th or 5th(due to being in a cyberschool) but will be starting with 6th and pre-algebra soon. BJU is great for children who understand math and like math. Its also for those children who thrive off of fun pictures and color. BJU has an excellent math program, the teacher manual is worth its weight in gold in helping you to teach the math concepts. BJU teaches children other ways to find the answer. Just not knowing that 2+2=4. Again great for children who like little "tricks" and those that find that fun. My oldest has always loved using BJU math and I think we will continue to do so with her. I think she just understands it. Now on the other hand there is my 2nd daughter whom this math would bring tears to her eyes.

Bringing me to CLE math. CLE Math is spiral in the fact that it teaches concepts in bite sized piececs and continually reviews throughout the Light Units. I love CLE's math as well. My oldest is using it to finish off the year and she doesn't care for it very much BUT my 2nd daughter loves this math program and there is no tears. She doesn't care if there are fun frilly pictures or not. She just wants to know that 2+2=4 and wants to move on. You start teaching her 40 different ways to find the answer of 2+2=4 and she almost looks like her head is going to explode. I like the fact that CLE's math can be done independently by the child. No having to teach the concept (like you do with BJU) before administering the work.

It just depends on the child really. Mastery math programs work well with children who like math. I tried using a Mastery math program with my 2nd daughter and it just brought her to tears every day that we used it. On the other hand my oldest picks up math quickly and she loves BJU because she gets it. She likes working on one concept at a time all the way through.

Spiral is great for children that struggle with math , or the child that just wants to get to the answer and isn't able to or doesn't want to understand the how's and why's to math. Spiral continously reviews math problems and I really think CLE's math can appeal to all types of learners. Though my daughter isn't enthusiastic about the CLE math she IS learning and I have seen improvement in area she was struggling with previously. So its not all that bad. LOL.

Which ever you chose I'm sure it will be the best for your family.

Well, I ended up with buyer's remorse from Mammoth Math, go figure! I had printed out samples and my dc and I loved it. However, when I printed out an entire light blue 3rd grade year, I hated it after about a month of trying to use it, and I wished I hadn't of used so much ink and copying time to download the whole thing at once. The answer keys are SO hard to read, compared to the format I had before with Horizons Math. But the word problems and mental math exercises were much more challenging in Math Mammoth than in Horizons.

So, we ended up not doing much of ANY math at all for about 3 months, as I did not like lugging around the big, heavy MM notebook or trying to grade the assignments. Bad, bad, bad!icon9.gif

Fast forward to now... we've been doing about 8 lessons with the new edition BJU Math, level 3, and I see that it is working. It does take MUCH longer to do math in our house now, however, but at least it is getting done. I think I am going to major on math and minor in all other subjects this summer, until I feel like we are caught up somewhat.... well, at least for my 3rd grade ds. I have been doing the 3rd grade math with both my 7 dd and my 9 ds and my dd is flying along, but my ds still makes all kinds of careless mistakes. I just don't know if I can do 3rd grade and 4th grade math with BJU in the same year... it seems to be quite teacher intensive. But I like what they are learning.... Hmm.... I am toying with the idea of letting my ds listen in on my dd's BJU Math 3 (so he can learn it too w/o being upset that his sister is doing his math), and letting him do maybe 1/2 a lesson of Horizons per day as well. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard! I'll just have to re-evaluate things at the end of the summer.

Anyway, you aren't alone in your deliberations! I must say that I do like how BJU teaches mathematical terms and concepts... stuff we just never absorbed with Horizons Math.

Brenda

Talk about buyers' remorse!! I spent over $200 on shipping for BJU's Distance Learning on Wednesday only to learn on Friday that they are now offering free shipping for the next two weeks. :glare::glare::glare::glare::glare::glare::glare:

(don't suggest calling bju customer service .... I already did and no refunds for NEW specials if your order is already in process)

Oh no!! I'd be upset too, especially since it hasn't even shipped yet. Will they not cancel your order and you can place it over? Are your items backordered? That's not very good customer service, in my opinion!

I've read here that consultants and motel meetings give free shipping. I'm not sure if you can order the Distance Learning products from consultants, though.

I only print out a few days worth of Math Mammoth at a time. Often my son will "get" a concept quickly and we skip ahead, other times he needs extra practice and I make him work all the problems for that topic. I put the pages in the binder after he's worked them. Only having to print the pages I need, as I need them, is actually one of the things I really like about Math Mammoth!

Jackie

Brenda, you might try a Flashmaster with your 9 yo ds. He's at a great age to do it, and it should help. Also, as far as teaching the two grades, what you can do is set one dc to doing the drill/review page for the day (haven't seen how they formatted these in the new edition, sorry), while you teach the other dc. Then dc 1 does his assignment while you teach the other. Aren't there extra pages on the cd's in your tm? I'm using the older edition (5th hasn't been updated yet) that has those things as extra workbooks. But anyways, you get the idea. Since I just have one student I'm teaching, I have her do her Flashmaster or the Reviews page (which is now on the cd's in your edition), while I prep. Then we do the lesson together. Then I assign the Spring into Action page (which again is now on that cd in your tm in some new format or fashion) as a "homework" or follow-up page. In the lower grades, your student book is a worktext and is written in. I still had her do that extra page from Spring. Starting in grade 5 it's a textbook. I do the problems with her on a lapboard and then have her do the Spring page for more work.

You're going to get there. Catching up, or rather feeling behind, is not fun, I know. But just work on it every single day, every single day, and you'll get there!

Talk about buyers' remorse!! I spent over $200 on shipping for BJU's Distance Learning on Wednesday only to learn on Friday that they are now offering free shipping for the next two weeks. :glare:...

Ack! How frustrating! I had something similar happen when I decided to purchase the satellite system years ago. BJU.com was having a sale on the satellite, so I jumped on it and saved myself $100! I was sooo frugally happy! :D...only to find out a week later that had I purchased through a consultant I could have gotten my satellite for FREE! :glare: Not to mention 20% (or was it 30%??) off my books AND free shipping! :001_huh::glare:

Yep, I am very aware of how buyers remorse feels. :tongue_smilie:

I know the price tag is scary but honestly BJU has an excellent math program, and if it really doesn't work it has a good resale value and you can always buy the CLE in the end. I don't think you'll feel sorry for getting it though. Good luck.

I'm sorry about loosing the $200. Can you just cancell your order?

I figure if I REALLY don't like it, CLE is very cheap and we can try it next summer.

For those using BJU, do you like the TM? Is it easy to teach from? How long does it take to teach the lesson?

I am using BJU K and 3 in the fall (just finished BJU Math 2). I have only used the 3rd edition teacher manual, which I hear is a lot more user friendly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! So simple, only a 2 page spread per lesson. I use my own judgment on which activities to choose, based on ds's mastery of the concepts. So our lessons are probably much shorter than DVD lessons or those taught in classrooms, since a DVD or class teacher must focus on a large group of children. I would say I spend an average of 15 min. presenting, but occasionally as long as 45 min. if it's a new concept or something tough for ds to understand.