Menu

Has anyone lost height?

I went to the rheumatologist the other day. I was hoping for different dxes and better treatment. I will keep hoping for that latter, but the former isn't going to happen.

Anyway, one REALLY surprising thing was that I am over one full inch shorter! I seriously cannot believe that is even possible (I'm only 34, no posture issue).

He was concerned also with some measurement of my spine. So maybe that is where I lost it?

But still, is it even POSSIBLE for someone my age to lose that much height? And is there anything to do about it? I'm shorter now than when I was ELEVEN.

I went to the rheumatologist the other day. I was hoping for different dxes and better treatment. I will keep hoping for that latter, but the former isn't going to happen.

Anyway, one REALLY surprising thing was that I am over one full inch shorter! I seriously cannot believe that is even possible (I'm only 34, no posture issue).

He was concerned also with some measurement of my spine. So maybe that is where I lost it?

But still, is it even POSSIBLE for someone my age to lose that much height? And is there anything to do about it? I'm shorter now than when I was ELEVEN.

I've lost an inch. I used to be 5'5", now I'm 5'4". It happened in my late 30s. I'm not sure why but I have bad knees which got worse about that time, I wonder if I lost some cartilage in my knees. I don't really know, but yes, it happened to me too.

OH, well maybe it isn't so odd. I wonder how come I had never heard of it.

I've never worried if a doc said my height was 5'6-something or whatever because I figure that how it is looked at, esp when done quickly, can be a little different. But I haven't been UNDER 5'6" since I was little so I about fell over when she said 5'5.5"

Maybe it isn't too odd though.

I think women are assumed to lose height with age. my mom, however, GREW a full inch in her 40s...our family doctor documented this. Now I, forever and a day five foot one-and-one-half inches added half-an-inch in my 40s...and recently was measured TWICE at the doctors as I am now five feet 2.5 inches! I will be 50 in June. Maybe I am in my second growth spurt ;)

(All the kids are still taller than me now. Even the baby (13))

Absolutely. When I'm actively doing ballet and/or yoga and I'm thinner, I'm a full inch taller than when I'm being relatively sedentary and put on a little weight. Shocking, but true! (And because of all the dance when I was younger, I have pretty good posture generally -- it's not just that I slouch, lol.)

About 4 years ago I realized I was no longer 5'7" but 5'6". I know I was not imagining my height; I was suddenly eye to eye with my oldest sister and had to look up slightly to look into my dh's eyes, and he is 5'8". I was 40 at the time and I must have been losing slowly before I finally noticed it.

HMMM. I am running a lot and training for a half marathon. Love pilates and it does a great job. I wasn't very active after having the girls and now that they are older I can exercise more. I'll have to check my height. My abs are pretty hard now (but a little to well cushioned, KWIM?) Maybe I'm taller. One inch will make me feel better about my weight!

I've lost an inch as well. I think it happened over time throughout my 30's. Even though my posture's not bad now, it's worse than when I was on the high school dance/drill team!

I'm fairly active with aerobic type exercise, but have been bad about stretching, core strengthening, & weight bearing activity. Maybe I'll integrate that into my workouts and try to grow an inch....upward, that is! I sure as heck don't need that inch anywhere else! :tongue_smilie:

Sheri :)