Menu

All About Spelling

fenni

My 7 yo is just nearing the end of AAS level 1. He hated the tiles so we quit using them and just do everything on a small whiteboard. It has worked great so far! Has anyone else made AAS work w/o the tiles? Will I run into trouble in the other levels? He really loves AAS, just not the tiles!

My older dd (finishing up level 3) prefers to just write on the whiteboard or on paper, so that's what we do. My younger dd (finishing up level 1) likes the tiles. I like having options. :)

I agree! I think my second child will really love the tiles. I think we'll be starting level 1 with him this fall.

We just finished up level 3. Ds doesn't love the tiles either, and I just use them to teach the concept. He doesn't use them for spelling the words and he is doing just fine.

Beth

This is what we do too. My kids rarely choose to use the tiles (I give them the choice of writing on a whiteboard or paper, or using the tiles). Typically they write on a hand-held whiteboard. There's an article on the AAS site that even says older kids don't have to use the tiles. I think any child who is up for the writing and wants to write can do it--the ultimate goal is for them to write words, and the tiles are just a stepping stone for them.

I do like to use them to teach the concepts still because I think the visual aspect of the color-coding, and of seeing teams together etc... is helpful.

Merry :-)

I do like to use them to teach the concepts still because I think the visual aspect of the color-coding, and of seeing teams together etc... is helpful.

I use How to Teach Spelling, but I bought the tiles and for one of DDs lessons, I have her use colored pencils so that each "sound" in the words gets a different color.

I use How to Teach Spelling, but I bought the tiles and for one of DDs lessons, I have her use colored pencils so that each "sound" in the words gets a different color.

GREAT IDEA....could also be done with different color white board markes! :-)

• 7 months later...
We just finished up level 3. Ds doesn't love the tiles either, and I just use them to teach the concept. He doesn't use them for spelling the words and he is doing just fine.

Beth

We do this too... MY daughter on the other hand loves the tiles... but she wants to line them up and swirl them to place - toooooooo looooooooong... so we use them to teach the concept, write on the whiteboard, write on the paper, orally too...

At the end she gets 6 words (since she's 6, she wants things in 6) - to do in tiles...

Kate