Menu

Comparing WTM editions

Hello. I have an older WTM edition, but the green-eyed monster is beckoning me to buy the new one, too. Can someone compare the differences between them that might justify another purchase? Is there substantial change in the book itself or just up-to-date resource listings? My finger is on the *purchase* button*. :D

Ginger

At the conference during the Question and Answer session, this question was asked to the panel. Here is what I remember:

The logic stage has been expanded to include "how to do an outline" with each grade level.

The grammar stage has been updated to remove books that are no longer available or are out of print. Substitution titles were replaced.

I have not lined up the 2nd edition with the 3rd edition to learn ALL the differences, but this might give you an idea of some of the changes.

Upon closer inspection of the logic stage, I have noticed that some of the Memorization suggestions for this particular stage, has changed from the 2nd edition.

Hopefully, others will chime in.

What most stood out to me were the changes in logic stage science. I had previously thought the logic stage science recommendations were weak, but I was very impressed by the suggestions in the third edition! Big changes, and definitely for the better.

I also noticed changes in the rhetoric stage great books chapter, though I couldn't put a finger on what they were exactly (and my 2nd edition is currently on loan!).

I felt like there was a more substantial change from the 2nd edition to the 3rd than from the 1st to the 2nd.

I also noticed changes in the rhetoric stage great books chapter, though I couldn't put a finger on what they were exactly (and my 2nd edition is currently on loan!). .

Specific recommendations were given for teaching history. Each time period now has a few recommended "spines."

I felt like there was a more substantial change from the 2nd edition to the 3rd than from the 1st to the 2nd.

I agree with this. IMHO, if you have children in the logic and/or rhetoric stages, the 3rd edition is definitely a great purchase (unless your children will go hungry because of the expenditure. ;))

I have purchased every edition as it has been released. For us, they have been worth every penny. In the third edition I especially appreciate the additions and clarifications in the logic and rhetoric stages. But, I also started science with my 6yo using the recommendations in the 3rd edition grammar stage science chapter and have been very happy with their new recommendations.

Yes, the look of terror we get from our Dhs as they hear the UPS man rumbling down the street...:eek:

Glad to hear it's not just happening at my house. :tongue_smilie:

In addition to the UPS guy, my dh also lives in constant fear of the mailman and the FedEx guy, even he sees that they're only carrying envelopes... because those are the bills for all of the packages and big boxes that arrive addressed to me. And he knows that those bills are for him. ;)

That reminds me, I've gotta come up with something really, really good for Father's Day this year...

Cat

That reminds me, I've gotta come up with something really, really good for Father's Day this year...

Cat

Hey-I could wrap up my new WTM book and give it to hubby! I bet I could read it in hiding until then...;)

Ginger

In addition to the UPS guy, my dh also lives in constant fear of the mailman and the FedEx guy, even he sees that they're only carrying envelopes... because those are the bills for all of the packages and big boxes that arrive addressed to me.

Ah, but a real junkie puts it all on her Amazon credit card and gets those 25$ bonus codes in the mail.:)

Yes, the look of terror we get from our Dhs as they hear the UPS man rumbling down the street...:eek:

Reminds me of the Full Monty quote: "She's out there...spending!" My dh teases me with that line. :)

The 3rd edition has been tempting me, too. So glad to see a comparison review!