Menu

for those who have hs requirements where they live...

Where we used to live, many of the hs'ers we knew had never registered their kids to begin with - since the kids weren't in the system, there was no record of them. This wasn't the case for us, ours *were* in, so they were registered there (and here now). I have no idea what they would do if they ran across someone who was supposed to have registered and didn't.. nobody seemed to know because it had never happened. Most of the mums said "they don't really care". ("They" being the boards).. I've been told that here, in our new province, they're a lot quicker to "chase you down" or whatever, somehow, and that they *do* care...I don't know anyone here not registered, although I'm sure there are some. :)

In addition to legal ramifications for the parents, your children would have a difficult time getting a driver's license when the time came, at least in my state. I suspect it's similar in other states.

eh? What does a drivers license have to do with whether you'd sent in homeschool forms?

There are laws on the books regarding teenagers and truancy and their driver's license. I don't know the ins and outs, as my oldest is still a bit away from that, but essentially, you have to have "proof of attendance" or something from your school to get a license if you're under 18 (I think 18), or you have to get a notice from your school system's home study office, so if you haven't submitted your forms, then they aren't going to issue it for your child.

I believe the law was formulated in an effort to reduce the drop out rate.

Someone else in GA with more knowledge of the law may be able to clarify!

The HS laws here in NH are to give HSers a legal way to comply with truancy laws, and also (not so overtly) to make sure your kids are not being educationally neglected.

Best case scenario: No-one notices and your life goes on as usual.

Worst case scenario: You can be jailed for violating truancy laws, and your kids can be taken away for educational neglect.

It's not about being punished for not filing paperwork. It's about the law protecting children from parents who are NOT doing well by the children.

It's about social workers rightly removing kids from homes where the parents keep them at home and DON'T school them.

When I was a kid living in the city, the neighbor next door would keep her kids home from school to yell at them and force them to clean all day. THAT's what the social workers are looking for.

It's not about paperwork. It's about making sure kids aren't being abused. Sometimes, it really happens. It's the social worker's job to make sure you're a valid homeschooler and not someone who's just keeping the kids home and not caring for them.

There are laws on the books regarding teenagers and truancy and their driver's license. I don't know the ins and outs, as my oldest is still a bit away from that, but essentially, you have to have "proof of attendance" or something from your school to get a license if you're under 18 (I think 18), or you have to get a notice from your school system's home study office, so if you haven't submitted your forms, then they aren't going to issue it for your child.

I believe the law was formulated in an effort to reduce the drop out rate.

Someone else in GA with more knowledge of the law may be able to clarify!

Wow. I've never heard of such a thing... I just looked it up here in Alberta and we have nothing like that... just:

To obtain a Learner’s License (Class 7) you must:

• Be 14 years of age or older.

• Pass a vision test and a knowledge test on the rules of the road.

• Have parental consent if you are under 18 years of age.

• Have valid identification.

And nothing listed through the getting of the full license either...

Must say, I'm glad to see we don't.. I can't agree with tying them together like that.

(I *am* surprised to see that the learner's permit age is 14 here though, wow. We've not been here all that long, so I wasn't aware of the ages.. back on PEI it's 16)

What happens if you don't follow them? What if you don't register your kid with them in the first place?

I'm just curious, as we don't have those rules here.

Well, in Maryland, we have to file a NOI and then we either have to submit to twice-yearly reviews with the county or come under an Umbrella and fulfill the umbrella's requirements. I have done both; the umbrella is better and easier. Not all reviewers "get" educational plans that are not lock-step with PS. If you are found in violation of the law (i.e., not providing "regular, thorough instruction in..." all subjects), you have to come back in 30 days with a revised portfolio. I do not know exactly what would happen if you refused to comply or failed to provide a satisfactory portfolio. Neither would I wish to find out. At the very least, it could hurt the child's future goals for college or other things. At the worst, you might have to appear in court to defend your hsing. I have heard of children being mandated by the state to go to PS.

I suppose it is possible to never register as homeschooling in the first place, but again I would be concerned that there could be some future repercussions with career goals. Plus, I just wouldn't want to live in fear that the police are going to come bang on my door, YK?

I have refused to comply with "creeping legislation", such as when the county reviewer wanted me to fill out a three-page inquiry with questions that are NOT part of our law, such as, "Do your children belong to a co-op or social network?" and "List the subjects and approximate number of hours spent." and "Do you have a specific room for schooling?" But I'm a pretty sheepish rebel :tongue_smilie:, so I just kinda pushed the sheet away and gave her my own summary sheet instead.

The umbrella route is much better/easier, although not free.