Menu

I have turned a homeschool corner....

knitgrl

We have started our fourth year of homeschooling (how did that happen?) I have hs'ing friends who have told me when they send their kids to VBS or the 4H fair, they count it as school. I was never able to bring myself to do that because it wasn't academic. The way things have happened is that today dd will be going over to her grandfather's house to help pluck chickens and then going kayaking with her father in the afternoon. And I am counting it as a school day. :-)

• Like 15

We have started our fourth year of homeschooling (how did that happen?) I have hs'ing friends who have told me when they send their kids to VBS or the 4H fair, they count it as school. I was never able to bring myself to do that because it wasn't academic. The way things have happened is that today dd will be going over to her grandfather's house to help pluck chickens and then going kayaking with her father in the afternoon. And I am counting it as a school day. :-)

Science, PE, confidence building, multi-generational relationship building,.....

• Like 2

I was telling my husband the kayaking counts for PE and water safety, the chicken thing counts for science (we just had a lesson on muscles and tendons), and I suppose a somewhat anachronistic home ec., and then it dawned on me -- I sound just like a homeschooler! :lol:

• Like 2

For what it's worth in my county, going to the state fair with 4H is considered an excused absence.

I would do it this way. And have. We take off school to go to the state fair, Then avail ourselves of the gazillion educational exhibits they have targeting children. I count it as an educational opportunity with the family. But not as school.

Counting VBS? No.

Maybe I'm being judgemental, ignore me if that's helpful.

• Like 2

I would do it this way. And have. We take off school to go to the state fair, Then avail ourselves of the gazillion educational exhibits they have targeting children. I count it as an educational opportunity with the family. But not as school.

Counting VBS? No.

Maybe I'm being judgemental, ignore me if that's helpful.

I completely agree about VBS!

VBS?  Absolutely!  What can we count in VBS?  Well, ours has a lot of physical activity and games, so there's PE right there.  We also have some scripture memorization.  

Then, ours is almost always a musical, so there's Arts....music and drama.  Plus, the play itself is literature.  

Check, check and CHECK!  

• Like 1

I think certain days and activities can be counted as school days. After all, B&M schools do have field trips. However, I would be careful against becoming too liberal with that philosophy. If you need to take a day off, take a day off and call it that.

True. I think if I ever read another homeschooling blog or book that counts making cookies as math, I will scream.

• Like 4