Menu

Is there a rule about buying used books like this?

Liza Q

I recently joined a FB group for buying/selling used texts for online classes at a particular online school. I was the second person to mention that I was looking for a particular text. Today, someone posted that they were selling said book. I said I would take it if no else had. Fine - she sent me her paypal info and I was thrilled with the price.

But about an hour later, the first woman who had mentioned that she was looking for the book posted and said that she would like to be the next one, I guess if another one comes up for sale.

So. Should I bow out because the first woman was first on line for it, so to speak, and suggest that the seller sell it to her instead? Or is it all right if I go ahead and buy it because I was the first to respond?

Are there rules for this sort of thing?? I feel like maybe I should ask the teacher who set up the board. My husband thinks that I am being silly and that this kind of thing is clearly first come, first serve.

I need to decide quickly - I don't want the buyer to have to wait too long.

She wasn't first in line when the seller posted. You responded to the seller first. You were first in line. By "next", she means if the sale falls through. Not if another one is sold by someone else.

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 1

Unless the teacher who set up the board posted specific guidelines around this, such as a wait list for each book, it should be fine to assume that this teacher just set up a marketplace for buyers and sellers to do their own exchanges on whatever terms they agree upon. Presumably another copy of the book will surface at some point, and it is up to the other buyers to keep an eye out for it. Just send the seller the payment info and be done with it. No need to complicate it.

• Like 1

If you were the first one to respond to the offer and the Seller sent you the information about how to pay her, you should get the book.  If someone else sees a listing on Amazon or eBay or some other Marketplace and they do not buy and someone else buys, that is the problem of the person who did not buy first.

I have done that and regretted it, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes delaying a purchase can be costly.