Menu

"Big Idea" science books for discussion, 7th

I am trying to put together a list of "big idea" science books for a read aloud / discussion class this year for my ds, who is in 7th. He likes science but it is my weakest subject.

We usually read aloud for 20 minutes or so, then have a discussion, look related stuff up on the internet, etc. This is an informal, interest-led class and my aim is to present a variety of topics so he can chase down what he wants from there. 

Would love to hear suggestions from the hive on the following books. We won't have time to read all of them, so I am hoping that you all can help me streamline the list. I am sure there are some redundancies, and I am equally sure there are others that should be there but aren't. 

Here's what I have so far:

Magic of Reality (Dawkins)

The Planets (Sobel)

Science Matters (Hazen, Trefil)

Men, Microscopes & Living Things (Shippen)

Disappearing Spoon (Kean)

What If? (Munroe)

Briefer History of Time (Hawking)

Microbe Hunters (de Kruif)

Thanks for your help!

We won't have time to read all of them, so I am hoping that you science-types will be able to help me figure out which are the best ones and which might be redundant, and of course, I am open to suggestions. 

Can I start by saying, I don't know if these count as 'big idea' books, I don't know what ages they'd be suited to, I haven't read any of them yet, and I'm in the UK (so I dont' even know which ones are available in the US), but, if you are looking for some more suggestions, these are a few of the science-related books that have been lurking in my Amazon wishlist for ages...

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They feel, How they Communicate  - discoveries from a secret world

The Secret Lives of Trees: how they live and why they matter

The Hot Zone: the chilling true story of an Ebola Outbreak

What a Plant Knows: A field guide to the senses of your garden - and beyond

The gene, an intimate history.

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks

Being mortal: illness, medicine and what matters in the end

Guineapig scientists: bold self-experimenters in science and medicine

Sugar changed the world: a story of magic, spice, slavery, freedom and science

Tools of navigation: a kids guide to the history and science of Finding your way

Tools of timekeeping: a kids guide to the history and science of telling time

Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are?

The Invention of Nature: The adventures of Alexander von Humboldt, the lost hero of science

The weather experiment: the pioneers who sought to see the future.

Tide: the science and lore of the biggest force on earth

Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize Bryson had a kid's version -- that is fantastic.

Look inside before you buy it. It is completely different in layout and lacks the storytelling of the original. It reminded me of a Usborne or DK book. A 7th grader should enjoy the original.

• Like 2

You might find A Brief History of Time a bit much for grade 7 - many adults don't finish it.  It's not impossible, but I would see if you can have a look at it first. 

Or, you might find the introduction and first few chapters would work, but not the whole book.

As for other suggestions, I enjoyed The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat when I was that age.  Gorillas in the Mist might be another interesting book.  Or Lucy, though its older and you'd want to look at some updated information.

• Like 1

You might like The Forest Unseen. It goes big by going small, looking at a small part of a forest for a year and exploring the significance of what's going on.

Right now I'm reading I Contain Multitudes, but IDK if it'd overlap with your microbe book or if a 7th-grader would want to read the whole thing.

I agree that an Oliver Sacks book and/or an Atul Gawande book would be nice. Both really enjoyable and thought-provoking.

• Like 1