Menu

course on research paper writing?

Brave Writer has an excellent 6 week MLA Research Essay class. In the past it has been offered limited times and fills extremely quickly, but well worth the money if you can get in. Both my high school boys have done that class.

oops - it's only recommended for older students.

• Like 3

My dc just finished a course called Writing the Research Paper with Jana Bontrager of Big River Academy.  Dc thought Mrs. Bontrager explained the process very well in class and that the assignments were clear and helpful.  Each step of the process had its own assignment.  I agree that this is a good class for learning the process of writing a research paper, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for improving writing quality.  Dc scored well on all assignments, but received few comments. Perhaps a student who had more struggles with writing might have received more feedback, but I don't know.  FWIW, dc did say that it would be a good class for youngest dc to take in early high school, as Mrs. Bontrager explains things so well.

• Like 2

Brave Writer has an excellent 6 week MLA Research Essay class. In the past it has been offered limited times and fills extremely quickly, but well worth the money if you can get in. Both my high school boys have done that class.

oops - it's only recommended for older students.

Thank you for pointing me to this! While she doesn't meet the agerequirenemt yet it is good to know about, and I am now looking at some of the other bravewriter classes to see what might be a good fit. Maybe this?

http://www.bravewriter.com/online-classes/expository-essay-class

• Like 1

My dc just finished a course called Writing the Research Paper with Jana Bontrager of Big River Academy. Dc thought Mrs. Bontrager explained the process very well in class and that the assignments were clear and helpful. Each step of the process had its own assignment. I agree that this is a good class for learning the process of writing a research paper, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for improving writing quality. Dc scored well on all assignments, but received few comments. Perhaps a student who had more struggles with writing might have received more feedback, but I don't know. FWIW, dc did say that it would be a good class for youngest dc to take in early high school, as Mrs. Bontrager explains things so well.

I will look into this one, thank you!

Thank you for pointing me to this! While she doesn't meet the agerequirenemt yet it is good to know about, and I am now looking at some of the other bravewriter classes to see what might be a good fit. Maybe this?

http://www.bravewriter.com/online-classes/expository-essay-class

Yes the essay class is a great place to start with Brave Writer. All of the teachers that we've had have been great.

• Like 3

My dc just finished a course called Writing the Research Paper with Jana Bontrager of Big River Academy.  Dc thought Mrs. Bontrager explained the process very well in class and that the assignments were clear and helpful.  Each step of the process had its own assignment.  I agree that this is a good class for learning the process of writing a research paper, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for improving writing quality.  Dc scored well on all assignments, but received few comments. Perhaps a student who had more struggles with writing might have received more feedback, but I don't know.  FWIW, dc did say that it would be a good class for youngest dc to take in early high school, as Mrs. Bontrager explains things so well.

I have been eyeing this class for the Spring 2018 semester. Would you recommend it? Are you planning on using any of BRA's other classes? Would you take another class with Mrs. Bontrager based on this experience? What was the weekly workload?

Oh, and I'll add that Lukeion has a new Composition and Research class in the fall (only two seats open according to the website) and an Advanced Research Writing class (full/waitlist) in the spring. They recommend them for students working at a 11th/12th grade level already, so perhaps after taking one of the previously listed classes?

Edited by RootAnn