Menu

Better whiteboard markers?

We really like the ones by Quartet. They are sold on Amazon. Last year I stocked up because they had them half off for Black Friday. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait a few weeks and see. We like the more fun colors instead of the primary. They have excellent "ink" flow.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

I second the Quartet ones - or the Bic ones that work the same way. We've had some batches of Quartets where the tips were improperly cut (bad quality control, I assume) so I'm about to go back to the Bic ones for a bit, I think. Both have ink meters on the sides so you can see how much you have left. Both don't dry out as quickly if you leave the cap off for a few minutes by accident or while using it (they will dry out if you leave it off all day just like an Expo though). I find they last a little longer than the Expos (or the other brands) but don't expect anything crazy - they're still whiteboard markers and they still run out pretty fast. The big difference I've seen is that they keep high quality color for most of their lifetime. So you know how the Expos (and other brands) dry out a little and then just hobble along with these hard to see lines for ages? Or only keep their vibrant colors for a few uses before becoming a very dull color? These don't do that until they're really at the end of their life.

ETA: Apparently Bic makes a couple of different lines of whiteboard markers. These are the ones that I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Writing-Marker-Assorted-GELIPP121AST/dp/B00QNUTNSG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477608935&sr=8-2&keywords=bic+whiteboard+markers

And here are the Quartet ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Dry-Erase-Assorted-EnduraGlide-5001-20MA/dp/B008DQXKZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477609013&sr=8-1&keywords=quartet+whiteboard+markers

I'm sure both are available in different sets/colors/sizes on Amazon so you can poke around. I used to find them at Staples, but they were individually sold and overpriced.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

We've had some batches of Quartets where the tips were improperly cut (bad quality control, I assume) so I'm about to go back to the Bic ones for a bit, I think.

Interesting. We bought 4 sets and have only opened 2 so far and they were fine. Maybe I should check the others!

Interesting. We bought 4 sets and have only opened 2 so far and they were fine. Maybe I should check the others!

I'm hoping we just got a bad batch. We have been buying those or the Bic ones for a couple of years now with no issue (well, there was one other one...), but the last big box I got of them on Amazon had almost half of them with funky tips that don't allow for fine lines. I had to go in with an exacto knife and trip them.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

The expo marker lids are the problem. You really have to put them on quite tight for them to not run out super fast.

Interesting! Would explain it since kids use them even more than me and I didn't know to be careful about that myself.

I'm going to try some other brands. Thanks!!