Menu

What is everyone using for their curriculum?

Mtngrace

Maybe look at Layers of Learning? Even if you decide not to stick with it, it can be used as a supplement to almost any curriculum. It isn't wasted money, to keep those PDFs as a back up on a tablet. They work kind of like a digital subject organized encyclopedia.

We've used Hirsh's Core Knowledge series for all of elementary school. What I've liked is that it's a good guide for history and science topics (and related literature and poetry) without being a set curriculum. We can customize what we get for different subjects based on interest and ability. We've used singapore math and art of problem solving because we need something challenging, but the bare-bones Growing with Grammar has been good for my 'we dont' like to write' kids. We just got MCT's language arts because we've reached a point where I want to expand their love of language a bit. We've done different vocabulary things (wordly wise, vocab with classical roots) as it fits their abilities. There is vocab in the MCT series, so we may mostly do that for a while. For one child, I use a spelling book, while for the other, a good speller, I have them use their vocabulary words for spelling. For history and science, we follow the core knowledge topics but use library books, Story of the World, History of US, Usborne books, fiction recommendations from Sonlight, videos, whatever I think will help that child learn. One child was upset by the emotionally charged Sonlight books, so I'm selective about what fiction they read, but they read a lot of non-fiction. Other kids balk at nonfiction, preferring stories, so they'd make different choices.

The American history honestly. I can't put my finger on it. I don't like the LA for first grade. I changed my son to doing AAs level 1. I may just stop doing the first grade MFW and just do the Adventures second/third grade history with both. My daughter doesn't like the read alouds though. She is HF autistic and it's hard to get her to read things she is bored with.

My 3rd grader is doing something that looks like unschooling (I hate using that term, but I don't know any other way to describe it).  The only thing I have her do every day is All About Spelling.  She reads on her own every day, I read to her every day...  She tells me on Friday what she wants to study for the week and I go to the library and get books for her.  She has a notebook and asks me for specific kinds of math problems.  I write the problems in the notebook and she goes off and solves them.  I check her answers.  We have been doing a ton of field trips - we went to a meteorite gallery, a flight museum, a big cat sanctuary...

We don't like boxed curriculum, either.  And my daughter doesn't like read-alouds that much (which is a big part of all those boxed curricula).

Anyway, that is what's working for us this year.  My 3rd grader is having a great year.

• Like 1

We also started this year off with MFW (K) and ended up dumping most of it in the first month, and then gave up on the rest of it a few months later. Now we're using just a childrens bible and home made timeline coloring pages for bible. We did about 25 lessons from the bible study guide for all ages, which I liked, but I decided to just do my own thing for awhile. Progressive phonics, which is FREE. I absolutely love and recommend it. We're also doing explode the code along with that. For math we're using Singapore Essential math, which I'm happy with. We're finishing "A reason for handwriting" K right now and moving on to A. I'm still figuring out science, but we're just using library books at the moment. I will probably continue with library books and add activity kits from amazon and possibly a workbook. I also recently started having my son do readers from the library as well.