Menu

Please help with biology or health sciences class planning

Dd14 will be in 9th grade this year.  She has some learning difficulties.  She is very intelligent but is more visual-spatial, hands on in her learning style.  I think that there are some LDs there but so far we are just proceeding without a label but with modifications to help her individual needs.  At this point in time, she's interested in a future in health care (which I know is broad, but she is only 14 so it is not narrowed down). 

She loves science esp. if it has hands on experiments.

I have Apologia biology here - book and CDs.  I used those with my son when he was her age.  I was not wildly enthusiastic about it.  Dd looked at it and pronounced it "a lot of reading".

She loves things like Crash Course history and I believe that one of the Greens has a biology sequence?  Is there a way to match that with written work, tests and experiments?  Is it quality?  She did very well with Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science (book 1 and 2) paired with Youtubes and experiments for middle school.  She absolutely hated the elementary Apologia books.

I did some searching here on biology but got a bit overwhelmed.  Even if people gave me a list of books/ courses to check out so that I don't have to try and piece it together from different threads, that would help. 

Or. . . is there a course out there that is not strictly biology but is more "health sciences"?  She wants to learn to suture! 

I'm way out of my league on this board, but I saw the topic on the main page so I clicked and here I am probably making a fool of myself.  Anyways, my DS is doing a logic stage biology year and dmettler suggested Uzinggo to me.  We decided to start with the middle school course and my DS loves it.  I haven't seen what the highschool course looks like, but they do have one available.  I'm not sure if it's a complete curriculum for high school, but the middle school level looks pretty solid. Just thought I would throw it out there since it's pretty visual.

• Like 1

Crash course biology, my kids love them

https://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PL3EED4C1D684D3ADF

Miller Levine iBook ($15) - my slow reader likes it. There are some errors in quiz so I told him to skip the quizzes since I haven't look through them

He use the Labpaq kit but it swings more ecobiology so not sure if your daughter would like.

For suture, has she done a first aid course? Mine was under St John's and organized by my girl guides troop for all of us. Learning anatomy and physiology modules through a comprehensive first aid course might work, lots of hands on.

• Like 1

She loves science esp. if it has hands on experiments.

She did very well with Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science (book 1 and 2) paired with Youtubes and experiments for middle school. She absolutely hated the elementary Apologia books.

Would she like IGCSE Complete Biology or A-Levels Biology in that case?

• Like 1

She really wants to do dissecting but I could add a dissection kit or two. 

If she really wants to do dissecting, maybe purchase a biology science kit, which will have dissecting. And then purchase something like Dragonfly and do it however you want. 

So basically..I got the Dragonfly book for only $8. Then, follow this teacher's plans to get the bare basics from the book... http://mccarterbiology.edublogs.org But then..also, purchase the lab kit from wherever and do that. She can spend tons and tons of time on the labs. She will love that. And she will get a bunch out of it. She won't be overwhelmed with required reading, but will have it available to her if she wants to read more. And your money will largely be spent on lab supplies instead of books and a syllabus.

• Like 1

We just did the Landry Academy Biology Lab Intensive this week.  My dd14 loved it.  She, also, loves the crash course videos on youtube.  I'm having her read Campbell and Reese's Biology, and she is doing the study guide with it.  She may do the advanced Biology lab inteisive with Landry in the Spring.

• Like 1