Menu

How do you use The Fallacy Detective?

I ordered and received The Fallacy Detective to start using this fall with my rising 7th grader.  With 38 lessons, I plan to do 1 lesson per week.  For those of you who have used it, do you spread it out over the week, or just do it one day a week?  I figured it could be one of our Friday fun activities.  Second question, do you do it all orally or have your child write anything out? 

I'm almost done with FD with my second kid. We do it orally, together, twice per week. We sit down someplace comfy & take turns reading the chapter, stopping as needed to discuss things. Then, we go through the exercises together, too, taking turns answering them ... or debating between answers. With dd#1, it led to quite a few rabbit trails as we had to go look up who certain people were or some quotes they used. (We ended up watching

. (We've since watched the whole movie.) There were other rabbit trails. She loves to identify fallacies & we followed up with Art of Argument the following year.

At the pace we did it, it took us to right about ... now, to get done. DD#2 and I should finish FD by the end of next week. ... I'll say that I think it is helpful to do the lessons spread out some so you can take the in between times to identify fallacies in commercials or ads you see/hear.

• Like 2

Orally here too. 2 years ago, DH sat down with the kids each weekend - he would read aloud a chapter (which the kids had previously read) and then they would all discuss and debate the questions together. It was a fun year. We will cover Thinking Toolbox the same way this Spring/Summer.

• Like 1