Menu

Dr/Vet/Vet Tech Hive - Cats Sick in New House

goldberry

We moved into our new house about 10 days ago.  The people did not clean, and there was heavy dust everywhere (baseboards, corners, ceiling fans, etc.) We have been cleaning a bit at a time along with everything else.  Not all has been cleaned yet.

Kitty #1 started sneezing a couple of days after we moved in.  She also did that in our other house when we first adopted her, so we didn't think much about it.  She is sneezing every so often but no other symptoms.

Kitty #2 started sneezing just a day or so ago.  But she seems to be having a hard time breathing (breathing with her mouth open in a weird pattern).  Concerning!

I thought tomorrow we would do a deep cleaning of all areas and open some windows (even though it is very cold), and see if it improves.  But with her breathing like that, do I need to take her to the vet, or would it be ok to wait until Monday to see if she improves?  I am worried about how she is breathing. 

Also...are my kitties being like canaries?  Is this just dust/dirt or could there be something weird in the house?

Please help!

We are dealing with cat asthma attacks. We had to eliminate all artificial candles, plug ins, febreze sprays and cleaners with fragrances, no pinesol, no lysol. Just vinegar, dawn dish soap and water used to clean everything. It has been a hassle but we are aeeing great improvement.

Vet gave my cat a steroid shot that gave temporary relief.

I would take both of them in.  Maybe the vet would just charge one office visit fee?

And then ditto the idea of getting a bathroom or some room with a hard floor cleaned and keeping them in that while you get the rest of the house under control.

But it could be the stress of moving that has brought on an upper respiratory infection more than something in the environment. Some cats are carriers of certain viruses (herpes virus and calicivirus) that cause upper respiratory infections, and stress can trigger them.

I echo everyone else....plus think, with their tiny bodies ( compared to a human) they may well be "canaries" picking up on something not affecting you yet. If they were super sleepy (how can one detect this in a cat?:) I'd say check the furnace, too, for carbon monoxide leak. But doesn't sound like that is the problem.

Did previous owners of house have pets? Perhaps unvaccinated and left germs behind?

Would vet board for a couple days to not only keep eye on them, but to give you chance to deep clean and air out house?

Hope kitties feel better soon!

Took the kitty in this morning.  Vet can't tell if it is respiratory virus or allergies.  Gave her a shot to help keep airways open and an antibiotic.  She was supposed to have a second dose of antibiotic tonight,  but I couldn't get it in her.  :(  I have had cats before, but this was total rejection!  

We did a deep clean on the house, with open windows, vacuum with attachments, etc.  Hoping it helps.  Her breathing did NOT improve after the shot.  Seems about the same.

Still worried. 

She is kind of a combo of both those videos.  The jerky breathing of the asthma video (but with mouth open), then sneezing and snot all over, rubbing nose, etc.  I'm worried that she didn't get better after shot and can't keep antibiotics down her throat.