Menu

Sewers: Whatever happened to cotton-covered, polyester-core thread?

songsparrow

I've always used Coats & Clark mercerized-cotton-covered, polyester-core thread for machine sewing - for things like repairing clothes and doing crafts.  But now, all of their sewing threads seem to be 100% polyester.  I've also found some 100% cotton threads.  But I've searched and searched and can't find cotton-covered-polyester.

Does anyone know a brand or store where I can find cotton-covered-polyester thread?  

Dual Duty and Coats and Clark are the thread brands that I can find here. I find that Mettler sheds less lint, but they discontinued even their hand quilting threads that were cotton wrapped poly.  My Bernina machine doesn't like Dual Duty or Coats and Clark much.

If you are wanting to go just the cotton route, Connecting Threads has some beautiful thread....and it's available via their website, or there are a few collections on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4EVB84?psc=1

.  My Bernina machine doesn't like Dual Duty or Coats and Clark much.

My Pfaff never liked it either..for 25 years I avoided it. Guterman is my brand of choice and readily available in JoAnn Fabrics and my local fabric store chain.  Then I switched to a different brand of needles.  I had used  Schmetz for decades and then I got a free sample of a Klasse needle with an order from Nancy Notions.  I use them all the time and when I have to use Coats and Clark ( cuz the fabric store wasn't open and I needed a color NOW!) it works just fine.  I wonder if the eye of the needle is different, bigger, something.

Hmmm....may have to pick those needles up as I usually use schmetz too. My Bernina seems to like Mettler/Metrosene thead best (followed closely by Guterman), but sometimes certain colors aren't available/are out of stock.

When I bought my Bernina I was told the machines are calibrated to Mettler. I don't particularly like Guterman. Doesn't seem to work great on my Bernina. Dual Duty does okay, and Coats and Clark Extra Fine works great. But I can't find that anymore:(

Dual Duty and Coats and Clark are the thread brands that I can find here. I find that Mettler sheds less lint, but they discontinued even their hand quilting threads that were cotton wrapped poly. My Bernina machine doesn't like Dual Duty or Coats and Clark much.

If you are wanting to go just the cotton route, Connecting Threads has some beautiful thread....and it's available via their website, or there are a few collections on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4EVB84?psc=1

That's interesting about the Bernina. When I taught home ec. I had all Bernina machines and I told my students to ONLY buy Coats dual duty thread. It worked great in all our machines.

every time I see this thread title I think it is sewers as in sewerage pipes, and imagine cotton covered tampons and some sort of sewerage blockage

The term "sewist" is the word commonly used now to refer to people who sew. Until I saw this thread, I thought it was a little weird and wondered why the changed was needed. Now I get it, because I, too, thought it was going to be a thread about plumbing.