Menu

Cold weather running...again

mommymilkies

Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before.  But I need some specifics.  I live in a very rural area, so I will need to buy online but might be able to get to a Target or Kohls in a few weeks.  Some years we mostly get ice here with bitter prairie winds, and some years we get a ton of snow.  I would mostly be running in 20-50 degree weather with sharp winds. My budget is very slim. 

I've seen recommendations for:

wicking pants/shirts

fleece headbands

windproof gloves

vests

But could anyone link for me some examples of these things?  Preferably in the lower price range? 

Also-would woolens work?  I have wool fabric and yarn I can make the hat, gloves, etc.  But I'm not sure they'd be windproof. 

This is what I wear when running in the winter, but I tend to warm up quickly and stay that way. Usually it's no colder than 20 (if it is, I usually don't go out) and we get quite a bit of wind. I wear running tights, two long sleeved running shirts, a fleece headband, and fleece gloves. All of the above, except the shirts, I bought at Target. I bought the shirts at a discount store, but I've seen lots of them at thrift stores. I also usually tie a fleece sweatshirt around my waist just in case the wind is extra cold. I got that at a thrift store. So if you have a good thrift store nearby, you can outfit yourself pretty cheaply. Otherwise, I would shop at Target. I think their stuff is pretty good quality for a good price. I also buy my sports bras there. I don't need much support, though, if you know what I mean, so I don't know if they would work as well for bigger chested women.

I hope you're able to find what you need. Running and walking outside during the winter keeps me from losing my mind.:)

The wind is worse than the cold.  You really need something to keep your ears warm - a fleece headband or fleece lined hat.  We lived in Rapid City for the last 4 years, though we have moved and I'm hoping for a little less wind this winter!

I am willing to run when the temps are in the teens, and I'm pretty casual about what I wear.  For pants I just wear whatever long running pants I have.  I never had any fancy fleece lined pants, but I know that once you get going your legs feel just fine.  

For on top, I would wear a long sleeve shirt and a fleece zip up jacket.  I have one that has fleece on the inside and plastic on the outside to keep out the rain.  If it was extra cold (below 25 or so) I might wear a sweatshirt over the shirt, under the fleece.

For my hands, I wear the cheap-o knit gloves from walmart.  That's all I need unless it is really cold (teens or low 20's), and then I'd wear ski mittens.

I also like to wear a "gaiter" (is that what it's called?)  around my neck.  It is basically a circle of fleece that fits snug.  I can pull it up over my nose when it's in the teens.  When it's in the 20's I will wear the gaiter to start the run, then pull it down when my nose stops freezing.

I like a headband better than a hat because it seals out the wind.  If it's too cold for just a headband, I'll throw a hat over the top.  WIth a good fleece headband, then I can get away with a cuter knit hat over the top.

Have fun running!  

I don't get warm so take that into account. I can come back from a run and still have cold fingers and toes.

If 20 or above and not windy I wear running tights and running shirt from UA. Expensive so I have one of each that I wash daily. I add a long sleeve reflective shirt I got at Big R. It's like hi way workers wear. I have a pair of lined mittens and a fleece balaclava. If it is windy or sub 20 I add a layer of climate rite cuddl duds underneath. Just my frigid $.02.

I don't get warm so take that into account. I can come back from a run and still have cold fingers and toes.

If 20 or above and not windy I wear running tights and running shirt from UA. Expensive so I have one of each that I wash daily. I add a long sleeve reflective shirt I got at Big R. It's like hi way workers wear. I have a pair of lined mittens and a fleece balaclava. If it is windy or sub 20 I add a layer of climate rite cuddl duds underneath. Just my frigid $.02.

I have Raynaud's, so that's my worry.  My toes burn with searing pain if they get cold.  So I'll probably have to find some good wool socks, but running will at least keep the circulation going.  

I have Raynaud's, so that's my worry. My toes burn with searing pain if they get cold. So I'll probably have to find some good wool socks, but stunning will at least keep the circulation going.

I have Raynaud's also and often have problems in the house on school days. HOWEVER, when I run I never have trouble, I assume that is because if the increased circulation.

Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before.  But I need some specifics.  I live in a very rural area, so I will need to buy online but might be able to get to a Target or Kohls in a few weeks.  Some years we mostly get ice here with bitter prairie winds, and some years we get a ton of snow.  I would mostly be running in 20-50 degree weather with sharp winds. My budget is very slim. 

I've seen recommendations for:

wicking pants/shirts

fleece headbands

windproof gloves

vests

But could anyone link for me some examples of these things?  Preferably in the lower price range? 

Also-would woolens work?  I have wool fabric and yarn I can make the hat, gloves, etc.  But I'm not sure they'd be windproof. 

Target has a bunch of running clothes right now; the brand is Champion "C9".  Most of the items are $35 or under.

If it's really cold, you can wear a polarfleece shirt between a running shirt and a windbreaker.  I love my windbreaker -- great for cold/wind/rain.

The ears, though... that is my issue.  Wind cuts through most hats.  Maybe a synthetic earwarmer headband under a wool hat?

Wool or polarfleece gloves or mittens should be fine.   I pull my windbreaker sleeves down over my gloves when it's cold.  I saw the Costco gloves another poster mentioned, but the label says they are not washable so that was a deal breaker for me.