Menu

Has anyone used Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach? I tried a board search and nothing came up.

http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/textbooks-c-1.html

If you've used this, what do you think of it? I don't know much about it but saw someone recommend it in another thread for a kid who was struggling with Saxon.

My math phobic, math hating 9th grader needs a friendly but thorough Algebra 1 program we can do together.

We tried TT Alg 1 the last part of last year and she was getting totally lost doing it on her own.

We started Foerster's Algebra and she kind of likes it, but so far it's mostly review and I can see she's going to get bogged down pretty soon as it ramps up.

(I've looked at some other Algebra programs but I definitely need one with a Solutions Manual! Lial's looks just overwhelming. We need simple, happy, and thorough-lol)

After reading the sample chapter 1 and perusing the table of contents, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a student who needed a friendly and chatty approach of average rigor.

The pitfalls I see her pointing out are the same ones that I point out to my students.

Sure will. Including tests I have 129 days scheduled which will help us get to geometry faster- I hope. I am considering ordering geometry soon if this approach works for her. We could be done with this text at the end of March and then start geometry- or maybe do both a little slower and have them both done by the end of the year. She needs to take the ACT next Fall and I'd like her to at least be done with geometry before then.

Guest DSHMom

I didn't use the Algebra 1 book, but did use the Geometry and Algebra 2 books.  This is for my son who is a very good student, but doesn't like math.  He has no plans of going into anything even closely math or science related in college and just wanted to get through math.  He self-studied through the books and just came to me as questions arose (thankfully, I am a math person).  I think he did half the problems. I don't give grades for homework, but he's expected to do it.  He used the solution book to check his work.  His grade only came from the test scores, but he managed to squeek by each year with an A.

On his ACT taken his sophomore year when he was about 2/3 the way through the Alg 2 book, he scored a 34 on the math section with only doing 2 practice test the week before.  Now he is a great test taker so I'm sure that's part of his high score, but he also had to know the material.   I think A Fresh Approach was able to teach him what he needed to know.  This year he's doing Duel Enrollment math so he can be done with math forever. :p

BTW, the Geometry book was very proof heavy if that matters to anyone. 

BTW, the Geometry book was very proof heavy if that matters to anyone. 

Thanks so much! Now, I'm not a math person so tell me why it would be good or bad that geometry is proof heavy? Also- do you think a motivated student (who also just wants to get math over with) could do algebra 1 and geometry in the same year?

Thanks so much! Now, I'm not a math person so tell me why it would be good or bad that geometry is proof heavy? Also- do you think a motivated student (who also just wants to get math over with) could do algebra 1 and geometry in the same year?

Proofs are good tools for reasoning and logical thought, as well as being a traditional part of mathematics. However, they are one of the more difficult parts of geometry, and not tested on the SAT/ACT, so many parents of struggling students (as well as many public schools) choose to do a more informal geometry which does not include them. 

I would at least do them as homework if the student can possibly handle them. If they cannot, I would use informal geometry. 

We are using Fresh Approach Algebra this year. We just started chapter 1 and are about halfway through. I cannot give a complete review since we are only starting the book, but I can give a general overview. Last year, we used Derek Owens prealgebra and the only reason I did not continue with his Algebra course is it was too costly for us this year. I already owned the Fresh Approach Algebra book so we decided to go with that. 

My dd hates math and prefers a math program that has a workbook format. That format is really difficult to find in high school algebra programs. She completed half of the Key to Algebra books last year, but they only go so far so I needed to find something else that would carry her through Algebra 1, 2, and geometry.

From browsing through the Fresh Approach Algebra book it does seem to cover algebra pretty thoroughly. There are quite a few chapters that have numerous word problems. There is plenty of review in chapter 1 covering fractions, decimals, negative numbers, etc. Each section in the book has an explanation of the topics that will be covered which I find to be really clear and easy to understand with good examples. I like the font in the book which seems to be easy on the eyes, not too small. There are not an enormous amount of problems in each exercise, but just enough to get good practice. One negative I can see is that if more practice is needed on one of the sections then you would have to look elsewhere for practice sheets. For example, MUS has numerous practice sheets, so if your dd or ds needs a lot of practice before solidifying a topic, then this program may not be a good fit. Also, I think this is a very basic straight to the point algebra program. If your child likes to think outside of the box and might be a future math major then this program probably won't be as challenging or interesting. That being said, this is a solid algebra program, maybe does not have all the bells and whistles, but depends on what your needs are. 

One thing I don't like about the book itself, is that it is a hardback book. I wish it came in a softback or spiral or even an ebook format. It is kind of hard to open the pages in the book because the binding is so tight. I am seriously thinking about cutting off the binding and putting it into a notebook. 

Also, we briefly tried out Jacobs Algebra last year and hated it. I know a lot of people like that algebra program but it was a terrible fit for my dd. There is absolutely no explanation in the Jacobs textbook before completing problems and there are a lot of different types of problems that require a lot of out of the box thinking. Not a great fit for my non-math dd. She also struggled with writing out all of the problems on paper, etc. So, I guess I would say that Fresh Approach Algebra is the complete opposite of Jacobs Algebra. 

The way we are using Fresh Approach Algebra is a little different as well. I am having my dd pre-read the explanations for a particular section, then the following day we work the problems on a white board together and then she writes the answers in the book. So, for now we are using a white board to work the problems rather than writing out the steps in the book. This may change as we go along. 

Anyway, that is all I can say about Fresh Approach for now, but will update later in the year when we have used the book a little longer.

1)  I like the font in the book which seems to be easy on the eyes, not too small. There are not an enormous amount of problems in each exercise, but just enough to get good practice. One negative I can see is that if more practice is needed on one of the sections then you would have to look elsewhere for practice sheets.

2) One thing I don't like about the book itself, is that it is a hardback book. I wish it came in a softback or spiral or even an ebook format. It is kind of hard to open the pages in the book because the binding is so tight. I am seriously thinking about cutting off the binding and putting it into a notebook. 

1) Really easy to find "non-word problem" algebra practice sheets on the web for free.

2) Good feed-back to the author, maybe they could offer soft-cover.

1) Really easy to find "non-word problem" algebra practice sheets on the web for free.

2) Good feed-back to the author, maybe they could offer soft-cover.

You definitely can find lots of algebra practice sheets. My problem is I don't have the time to go looking for extra things. I prefer programs that have everything included. I am trying to work while homeschooling, so leaves me with little time for planning. 

I think in the past they had a soft-cover version of the book, not sure why they changed it. I am starting to like ebook options more, so wish more math programs offered that, kind of like Math Mammoth. 

Thanks for the review, txhomemom-I'm grateful you took the time to post! Please keep us updated as to how it's going!

I went ahead and ordered it to take a look at it. I am still up in the air between this one and Math Relief, and now dd is saying she wants to continue w/ Foerster's. :glare: But I can see she is going to hit a wall at some point w. that one, so it may be better to pick one of these others instead.

Proofs are good tools for reasoning and logical thought, as well as being a traditional part of mathematics. However, they are one of the more difficult parts of geometry, and not tested on the SAT/ACT, so many parents of struggling students (as well as many public schools) choose to do a more informal geometry which does not include them. 

I would at least do them as homework if the student can possibly handle them. If they cannot, I would use informal geometry. 

Everything that Kiana said here is correct.  A proof is a set of statements and reasons that should convince someone looking at the proof that a statement is true.   I included proofs in my book because I believe that they are an important part of Geometry because they teach students how to think, reason, and communicate their thoughts.  However, they are not tested on the ACT or SAT, and most students will not see them in college. 

I am currently working on a video that explains proofs in further detail, and I hope that I will be posting it on my website within the next week.

Also- do you think a motivated student (who also just wants to get math over with) could do algebra 1 and geometry in the same year?

Perhaps, especially if your student has a good foundation and you skip the proofs in Geometry.  I think that you will probably get very frustrated in the later chapters if you try to do one complete Algebra I lesson every day, but, if you can average more than one lesson each day in the early chapters, you may be able to finish in March.  If you decide that you would like to do the two subjects concurrently, please realize that there are some Algebra I skills she will need to have mastered before she can successfully complete my Geometry book.  There is an appendix (with practice problems) that reviews these concepts in my Geometry book, but these concepts will obviously be much easier if she has seen them in Algebra I.  You may also want to read the FAQ on my website that talks about questions that you can skip in the Algebra I book.

I think in the past they had a soft-cover version of the book, not sure why they changed it.

We stopped offering the softcover edition because we found that these books were not as durable as we wanted them to be.

And finally, DSHMom, I'm glad that your son liked the books.

Christy Walters

This sounds like it would be a good fit for my dd in a few years. Are there any Algebra pre-tests anywhere to figure out if they're ready to take Algebra or not? 

I strongly recommend that students complete a Pre-Algebra course before starting my Algebra I book, but it is not completely necessary. Many of the concepts in the first eight chapters of my Algebra I book are covered in most Pre-Algebra books, but they are covered at a slower pace than in my Algebra I book. If your student has not successfully completed a Pre-Algebra course, you can find a placement test for my Algebra I book at http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/documents/Algebra_I_A_Fresh_Approach_Placement.pdf. However, please use caution when using this test. It is a test that shows you whether or not your student has mastered the skills that he or she has been taught so far; it does not test whether or not the student is ready to think algebraically.

Thank you. She's using R&S, that's why I was asking. I'm not sure what of theirs would qualify as "prealgebra" they don't really call it that. It'll be a year or two, definitely.

I've looked at the Table of Contents for Rod and Staff.   Depending on how well your dd understands the material in the R&S 7th grade book, you may be able to move into my Algebra I book after that, but it would obviously be easier if you did their 8th grade book too.

Thanks for all the additional info. Week one went very well with no stress at all. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

You're welcome.  I'm glad I could help, and please feel free to send me a private message if I can help you further.

Christy Walters

I thought i'd give a 2 week update. My daughter just took test 1 and got 100 percent! It was all about the order of operations so probably pre algebra type level . Even so, it was a incredible confidence booster. We both like the layout and easy to understand explanations. If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

I thought i'd give a 2 week update. My daughter just took test 1 and got 100 percent! It was all about the order of operations so probably pre algebra type level . Even so, it was a incredible confidence booster. We both like the layout and easy to understand explanations. If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

Glad you liked it - it's good that someone came out with that approach -  every child has a different way of learning

I will recommend this text to others in the future where it would seem to fit

After reading the sample chapter 1 and perusing the table of contents, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a student who needed a friendly and chatty approach of average rigor.

The pitfalls I see her pointing out are the same ones that I point out to my students.

What would you think of this for a younger advanced student if used along side math contest materials? I'm thinking especially of the geometry as a "pre geometry" before AoPS.

What would you think of this for a younger advanced student if used along side math contest materials? I'm thinking especially of the geometry as a "pre geometry" before AoPS.

I haven't looked at the whole book so I really couldn't comment definitively on that, sorry. My gut feeling is that it would be too much for a "lite" geometry -- in other words, they'd have seen too much of the AOPS material already to make the discovery approach worthwhile, although the problems would be less challenging than AOPS.

I would e-mail the author and ask her opinion as well.

AFA was recommended to me last year along with Power Basics from Walch.  We went with PB (cheaper through Amazon) and really liked the worktext format, only issue; there was no solutions manual (answers only) and I didn't feel like PB was "deep" enough to feel comfortable moving on to Alg. 2.  I picked up a copy of Lials with Solutions manual.... and just like last year I've decided it just isn't going to work for us. 

I'm considering buying AFA and just skipping all the review and maybe speed through the chapters he's proficient at.  That way we can spend some time on the ones we struggle with (graphing slope and intercepts) and do Keys to Geometry.  For those of you who have AFA does this sound doable?  Or should we just do it as it's laid out?

Also-

After you placed your order, how long before the textbooks arrived?  

For Christy Walters-

I really wish it was available in PDF or some other way to download.  We are doing as much on the computer and ipad as possible and Math is the one thing I'm having trouble finding.  The work text format would be perfect as a write on PDF.  

Thanks so much! Now, I'm not a math person so tell me why it would be good or bad that geometry is proof heavy?

There is now a video on my website that explains what a proof is and gives you some examples.  The video can be viewed for free at http://aplusses.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=page_2.

I'm glad to hear it.  Before your daughter takes the test for Chapter 2, she may find it helpful to watch the introduction and slides 10-12 and 14 from the first video at the website below.  You are welcome to watch the rest of the video too, but those are the parts of the video that are relevant to the concepts in Chapter 2.

http://aplusses.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=page_4

This video addresses some of the most common errors I've seen in the past 20 years as a private tutor.

I can't say anything for sure because everyone is different, but I think that you would be unhappy if you bought my Geometry book for this purpose.  I think that you will find that most of the material is probably more advanced than what you're looking for.

I'm considering buying AFA and just skipping all the review and maybe speed through the chapters he's proficient at.  That way we can spend some time on the ones we struggle with (graphing slope and intercepts) and do Keys to Geometry.  For those of you who have AFA does this sound doable?  Or should we just do it as it's laid out?

You are welcome to buy my test packet and look over the material in each test. If you think that ds can do well on a test without doing the practice problems, you are welcome to give him the test for that chapter first and have him work the practice problems only if he does not do well on the test. 

The only exception to this statement is the sixth section of Chapter 2.  If your ds does not practice the problems in this section and understand any problems he gets wrong (or at least watch the parts of the video I mentioned earlier to rivendellmom), he will probably miss those problems on the test.

After you placed your order, how long before the textbooks arrived?  

For Christy Walters-

I really wish it was available in PDF or some other way to download.  We are doing as much on the computer and ipad as possible and Math is the one thing I'm having trouble finding.  The work text format would be perfect as a write on PDF.  If you order your books from my website, your books will ship via USPS Priority Mail within two business days

If you order your books from my website, they will usually ship within two business days via USPS Priority Mail.

And finally, we are looking into at putting our books on the iPad.

Christy Walters

Christy,

Do you happen to have an idea of when the books would be available on the ipad?  Just a "somewhere around...." type thing?  We could focus on Geometry for the rest of the semester (kind of my plan right now anyway) if I thought it would be ready in the Spring.  I completely understand if you're looking at year(s) instead of months, not trying to pressure you at all :thumbup: .  Make sure, please, that when you do get it ready to go you let us know, there are a few of us who are going digital and Math seems to be one of the more difficult curriculum (after Pre-Alg from MM) to find.

Christy,

Do you happen to have an idea of when the books would be available on the ipad?  Just a "somewhere around...." type thing?  We could focus on Geometry for the rest of the semester (kind of my plan right now anyway) if I thought it would be ready in the Spring.  I completely understand if you're looking at year(s) instead of months, not trying to pressure you at all :thumbup: .  Make sure, please, that when you do get it ready to go you let us know, there are a few of us who are going digital and Math seems to be one of the more difficult curriculum (after Pre-Alg from MM) to find.

This is still very much in the preliminary stages.  Please do not plan your schedule around this being out any time in the next 12 months. 

When it is ready, I will send you a private message through the board here, but I will not create a new thread.  The board rules say that I can respond to posts, but I am not allowed to advertise a product unless someone else asks a question about it.

Christy Walters

This is still very much in the preliminary stages.  Please do not plan your schedule around this being out any time in the next 12 months. 

When it is ready, I will send you a private message through the board here, but I will not create a new thread.  The board rules say that I can respond to posts, but I am not allowed to advertise a product unless someone else asks a question about it.

Christy Walters

Thank you. I will look forward to using it for DD in a few years then.