Menu

Does studying history ever make you question your faith?

Moxie

Conversations about history and religion always make me think of this movie.

The man from Earth

http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-From-Earth/dp/B001D0BI5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370583487&sr=8-1&keywords=Man+From+earth

Promo's don't do the movie justice. I would recommend not watching any. It's a movie filmed almost totally in one room of a cabin. Just picture lots of really smart educated people sitting around talking about religion and history explaining things in a fascinating easy to understand way. But give it all a science fiction twist.

History itself didn't, but studying history has helped confirm my lack of faith in a god. There are too many similarities in the various religions for me to believe that any ONE could be the "true" religion. People thousands of years ago thought they were right. What makes modern day religion any more right? It just doesn't gel with me.

Well it makes you question a number of other people interpretation of my faith. To be honest I studied the history first and I think perhaps the common threads in creation stories etc may suggest a common background - or just a common humaness. I haven't read enough - does anyone know of any culture apart from Maori who favoured beating the sun into submission in midwinter rather than offering sacrifices and other appeasements?

Could either of you expand on this? What type of history (or science) study caused your faith to deepen?

Sure. My oldest used Truthquest History for middle and high school (he was in PS before that). TQ teaches you to ask as you study, Who is God? Who then is mankind? It teaches to look at history as the story of God (His Story), what He says and does at a time, then how mankind responds to Him. When you look at history through those eyes it's easy to see how it is mankind's response to God (not the other way around) that has caused the fall of man. I also believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, so looking at history as His Story made it a true love story, not something for me to doubt.

Our pastor teaches apologetics, so that has helped greatly on the science end.

As far as why I believe Jehovah/Yahweh is the one true God, He's living and active. The others are dead or where never even alive to begin with.

Praying for Him to show you the Truth.

As far as why I believe Jehovah/Yahweh is the one true God, He's living and active. The others are dead or where never even alive to begin with.

How is he "alive" and any more "active" than gods other people believe/believed in? Can you prove the others were dead or never alive to begin with? What makes your believe in a god any more real than theirs?

Pretty much exactly what Elise said. Man will *always* be flawed. Always. We will always do horrible things in the name of good. But that doesn't mean God isn't God, and, if anything, seeing how much we are flawed makes me ever so grateful we have a God that loves us anyway, and that we can still seek holiness though our relationship with Him.

Sure. My oldest used Truthquest History for middle and high school (he was in PS before that). TQ teaches you to ask as you study, Who is God? Who then is mankind? It teaches to look at history as the story of God (His Story), what He says and does at a time, then how mankind responds to Him. When you look at history through those eyes it's easy to see how it is mankind's response to God (not the other way around) that has caused the fall of man. I also believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, so looking at history as His Story made it a true love story, not something for me to doubt.

Our pastor teaches apologetics, so that has helped greatly on the science end.

Praying for Him to show you the Truth.

I just typed out, then deleted, a long response. I used to believe the same as both of you. I still want to believe that way, but the puzzle pieces aren't fitting together any more. I don't understand how someone can read the same thing as me, but not be left with the same questions. (Mom in High Heels' question is a perfect example) I do appreciate both your responses. :)

Could either of you expand on this? What type of history (or science) study caused your faith to deepen? I ask as someone who is struggling with her faith. The more I learn about history - ancient history w/ its similarities, other religions who honestly, wholeheartedly believe they are right, and the atrocities committed in the name of Yahweh/God/Allah - the harder it is for me to understand/believe. Science hasn't made me stop believing. But honestly, it has given me an alternative.

I can answer part of your question. God created human beings in his image (Gen 1 & other places) and with creation to point us to him and a sense of his laws in our hearts (Rom 1-2). He did not say that He confined all revelation to the Israelites. In the Old Testament, the mysterious Melchizedek (sp?) appears--he's from outside Abraham's community. Moses' father-in-law had some knowledge of God and was not an Israelite. At the birth of Jesus, magi (most likely followers of Zorastrianism) saw His star in the east and came to worship him. So I attribute similarities in stories and beliefs as part of God's revelation to all mankind. "He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to a knowledge of the truth." There is a book called "Eternity in Their Hearts" that you might find interesting.. http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Their-Hearts-Startling-Throughout/dp/0830738371/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370615772&sr=1-1&keywords=eternity+in+their+hearts To me, the similarity is evidence of the truth. It doesn't matter to me where it appeared first. It's evidence of God's reaching into many cultures.

As for atrocities, they are horrible and a good warning for us to look to our own hearts lest we do similar things in a lesser way. It's the will to power, always, that drives that whether in Stalin, Pol Pot, a pope, or anyone else. It can wear spiritual clothes, but they don't change the underlying impulse. Jesus spoke so much in warning against being the kind of person for whom the "outside of the cup" looked all clean and shiny when inside was rot. Paul warned the Ephesian elders that "wolves" would emerge from their very ranks. It was no surprise then when it happened at Ephesus or later. Just because someone puts on the outward trappings doesn't mean that they are converted. You know them by their fruits but only God can see the heart. On the one hand, like I said, it's disheartening, but on the other hand, it's a warning. Do I have a "will to power" at home, at work, etc? It's a dangerous thing that I need to confess and keep in the light.

For science, you might want to consider whether you are setting up false dichotomies for yourself. Sometimes our religious beliefs from Scripture have become equal to a certain interpretation that is not necessarily the same as what the Scripture says. So it can be your interpretation, not your core faith that is actually being challenged. As a particular kind of Christian (evangelical) I find it very helpful to learn what Catholics, Easter Orthodox, and other Protestants within the orthodox tradition believe. Sometimes that's all it takes to find that there isn't actually a conflict at all.

Could either of you expand on this? What type of history (or science) study caused your faith to deepen? I ask as someone who is struggling with her faith. The more I learn about history - ancient history w/ its similarities, other religions who honestly, wholeheartedly believe they are right, and the atrocities committed in the name of Yahweh/God/Allah - the harder it is for me to understand/believe. Science hasn't made me stop believing. But honestly, it has given me an alternative.

Btw, I didn't respond to this because I assume you are asking from the Christian perspective of how history/science caused their faith to deepen so that doesn't really apply to me. I also don't want to derail the thread and have it getting into why one believes one's particular belief is right and why Christianity is right over everything else or Islam vs Christianity or Hinduism vs Christianity vs Islam vs ancient polytheistic faiths...etc. If you're interested more generally (ex: how history/science confirms and strengthens one's belief in God's existence) then I'd be happy to answer if you want to message me or something.