What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Beginner yoga DVD for the not-very-flexible person?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 TrixieB

TrixieB

Time Lord Hotline Caller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1653 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I am looking for a beginner DVD aimed at the 40-something not-very-flexible person who doesn't yet have all the strength required for some of the moves. The DVDs I've sampled assume that the participant can start out doing the moves... which I can't.

Are there any such DVDs?

#2 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9598 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I've purchased many beginning yoga dvds I don't like, either because they aren't "really" for beginners (despite their name), or they're just plain boring. I really like suzanne deason's yoga conditioning for weight loss. It shows three levels of modification as well as the full pose. It uses a yoga-blanket, block, and strap for full modification.

I'm now branching out, but that is still my main. I think it has more stretching than a couple other dvd's I'm starting to use in a rotation.

I developed a lot of balance, gained strength, and flexibility. I also breathe better, and my cortisol levels have plummeted.

eta: there are also yoga dvd's that are aimed at inflexible people. try including that in your search terms. I don't own any of those.

keep in mind with yoga - slow controlled movements require more muscle control than fast movements which rely upon momentum.

#3 Mom-ninja.

Mom-ninja.

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11330 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Denise Austen. She has many yoga dvds and is great for beginners.
  • torikei and Negin like this

#4 Miss Peregrine

Miss Peregrine

All about that bass.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4608 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

I love Adriennereed.com. You can find her shows on PBS or buy the DVDs. I always did what I could and in no time, I could keep up.

#5 Negin

Negin

Queen of Lists

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Denise Austin

I've heard great things about this one also. I don't have it. I'd like to have it, but I can't justify spending any more $$ on DVDs at the moment.

#6 Firefly

Firefly

A leaf on the wind...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

I started with Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga. It is a very gentle 20 minute routine that is an excellent introduction to yoga.

#7 LibraryLover

LibraryLover

Visualizing whirled peas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17182 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Yoga for Everyone. Very, very gentle.

#8 AnIslandGirl

AnIslandGirl

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Does your library have a dvd section? Ours has quite an extensive home workout selection. Maybe you could try a few to see if you like a particular instructors style better?

#9 Xuzi

Xuzi

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Suzanne Deason's "Yoga for Weightloss" is excellent. She herself does some pretty advanced moves, but she has *3* other women doing the moves with her, each of them demonstrating a modification for anywhere from "slightly less flexible than the instructor" to "very inflexible". They also show how to use the props in some of the modifications.

When I was just starting out in Yoga I liked that particular video because it allowed me to progress as my flexibility improved without having to go out and buy another video.

#10 Pawz4me

Pawz4me

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

This was the first yoga DVD I ever bought. And it's still my favorite. Mostly it's a demonstration of basic yoga postures, along with modifications using blocks and straps if needed. The emphasis is on doing the postures correctly. A lot of the reviews complain that it's slow, but that's actually what I like most about it. I've found a lot of beginner yoga DVDs move too fast and don't have enough focus on proper positioning.

#11 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9598 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

This was the first yoga DVD I ever bought. And it's still my favorite. Mostly it's a demonstration of basic yoga postures, along with modifications using blocks and straps if needed. The emphasis is on doing the postures correctly. A lot of the reviews complain that it's slow, but that's actually what I like most about it. I've found a lot of beginner yoga DVDs move too fast and don't have enough focus on proper positioning.

:iagree: and don't demonstrate modifications for people who aren't as flexible.

#12 Firefly

Firefly

A leaf on the wind...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

The Rodney Yee DVD I recommended above doesn't move fast at all. Just FYI. :)

#13 TrixieB

TrixieB

Time Lord Hotline Caller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1653 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for all the recommendations! Our library doesn't have many of the DVDs so I will add a couple to my upcoming Amazon order.

#14 Fifiruth

Fifiruth

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

You might also check out Classical Stretch. It's not yoga, but deep stretching, and it has helped me greatly with knee and shoulder pain, and range of motion.

http://classicalstre...com/aboutus.htm

What's with the ads?