Menu

"Good Luck is the Result of Good Planning" - What do you think?

JumpyTheFrog

Although I'm not surprised that a saying on a fortune cookie could cause a contentious debate here, I'm still shaking my head that it's being taken so seriously. It's a fortune cookie! The intent is to briefly amuse the person who opens the cookie, who presumably will then forget about it.

I propose that we add "in bed" to the end of the fortune to make it more entertaining.

And now you've opened up a whole nother can of worms. ;)

And now you've opened up a whole nother can of worms. ;)

Yes, I resent that implication completely. I experienced low fertility - is that the result of my poor planning in bed???

;)

I'm kidding, of course.

Yes, I resent that implication completely. I experienced low fertility - is that the result of my poor planning in bed???

;)

I'm kidding, of course.

Why, all life results turn on conventional family planning. Surely everyone on this board knows that. ;)

I don't see luck as being associated with good planning and hard work. If someone earns something through hard work, they got what they deserved because they worked hard. Their success wasn't luck. IMHO, luck is something that happens outside of planning and preparation, like having a car accident that isn't your fault. That's bad luck to have been the one near the idiot who was at fault. An example of good luck is going to the grocery store and finding everything you need to buy on sale. Then again, I think very simplistically I suppose.

I don't see luck as being associated with good planning and hard work. If someone earns something through hard work, they got what they deserved because they worked hard. Their success wasn't luck. IMHO, luck is something that happens outside of planning and preparation, like having a car accident that isn't your fault. That's bad luck to have been the one near the idiot who was at fault. An example of good luck is going to the grocery store and finding everything you need to buy on sale. Then again, I think very simplistically I suppose.

agreed

I think this is referring to the fact that often people see successful people as lucky and tend to ignore the fact that they likely put in a whole lot of work.

Here is an example-DH and I both worked full time and when we came in to visit family the first time since we had been married (we lived 1500 miles away) we had purchased a new to us, but still nice used vehicle. A family member (who was a known drug user with no job) whined about how lucky were were and woe is her.... really-how about not doing drugs and getting a job.... DH and I working 50+ hours a week at good jobs weren't lucky-we worked hard for that vehicle.

I think the point of the fortune cookie is that if you want good things to come to you, you need to plan for it, not just wish for it. Advice for folks who have their lives (or a significant part thereof) ahead of them.

I don't think the intent was in any way to diss anyone. I find it interesting that we are programmed to refuse to take anything at face value - to read between the lines even when we have absolutely no idea who wrote the line, let alone what their intent was.

Judging from most of the fortune cookies I've seen, I would guess its most likely source was some hard-working person of very modest means. I mean, if you'd won the lottery, would you be penning fortunes?

Well, I assume that the OP was wanting opinions on the statement outside of the fortune cookie. Since im not sure anyone actually cares seriously about what a fortune cookie says.

I propose that we add "in bed" to the end of the fortune to make it more entertaining.

Oh the screams of laughter that got when we were 16!

Let's see, good luck from careful planning: all those temp. checks, urine dips, day counting, holding off to make sure both barrels are loaded, and evenings spent with my heels propped up on the wall, reading. Yup. Worked for us (and we were BOTH IVF rejects.)