Menu

Alternatives to ITBS?

We have been using the ITBS for a few years and Im getting really tired of it. The kids don't enjoy it, they are rarely able to finish each section, so I dont know how accurate their scores are, and a lot of the questions dont really match what we've been studying or what i want them to know, Also, a lot of people here say the ITBS is too easy and the grade equivalents aren't terribly meaningful.

I have heard of the Woodcock Johnson, and it sounds good, but I called a couple places in town who quoted it at something like $400 per child, With three kids, there's mo way I could afford that. I don't even think I could afford it for one kid!

My oldest child is in sixth grade and I guess needs whatever test is required by the state this year. The other kids are just testing for our own purposes (mostly my husband's request) so we could give any test, assuming we could afford it.

Any suggestions?

Also, is possible to get the WJ done for less than $150, and how can I find someone in the Atlanta area to administer it? Google searches are not very helpful. Would the local public school be able to help?

Thanks

Of course the scores are accurate. Not all children finish each section; that's part of the grading. Also, standardized tests don't evaluate what children actually know; they evaluate the general populace's scores against the scores of the group that was the "normal" group. That is the purpose of a standardized test: to compare the group at large to the normed group. It is why using standardized tests to decide whether to continue homeschooling or not is a bad idea.

Georgia requires that you test only every three years, and you don't have to submit the test scores....which is really crazy. Just do the test every three years and call it a day. Your evaluation of how your children are doing, based on what you know you've taught is far more beneficial than standardized test scores.

Of course the scores are accurate. Not all children finish each section; that's part of the grading. Also, standardized tests don't evaluate what children actually know; they evaluate the general populace's scores against the scores of the group that was the "normal" group. That is the purpose of a standardized test: to compare the group at large to the normed group. It is why using standardized tests to decide whether to continue homeschooling or not is a bad idea.

Georgia requires that you test only every three years, and you don't have to submit the test scores....which is really crazy. Just do the test every three years and call it a day. Your evaluation of how your children are doing, based on what you know you've taught is far more beneficial than standardized test scores.

Maybe so, but my husband feels its important to test them every year, so thats what I'm doing.

My comment on the scores not being accurate is based on threads here. someone once told me that if my kids arent finishing, that doesnt really tell me whether or not they know the material, just that they need more time or are more careful or whatever, which I think is a reasonable point Many people have said the grade equivalents are pretty much meaningless. Other people have said that ITBS gives a false sense of accomplishment. Personally, i just found some of the questions goofy and was frustrated that they couldnt finish.

I guess that's just the thing -- what I'm looking for is, in fact, a test that does evaluate what they know.

DS's school uses i-ready test to monitor progress. DS just did one and we did not yet get results. However, as far as I understand, it is a adeptive test. So, the test will keep going if the kid answers questions correctly. And it stops when the kid reaches the the kids' ability.

DS is a 3rd grader and he got quite a few algebra question (and he didn't get to finsih yet) so I do believe is tested to true grade level ability

Also, a lot of people here say the ITBS is too easy and the grade equivalents aren't terribly meaningful.

To clarify--the grade equivalents correspond to the score a student in the 50th percentile of a particular grade would obtain. Students at the 50th percentile have not mastered grade level material. More meaningful is what test the student has to take to place at the *90th* percentile. So, if your child places at the 90th percentile on the grade level test, that indicates mastery of grade level material.

If your children aren't finishing, a few things could be going on.

• They could simply not have the sense of urgency that they need to finish in the allotted time. This can be fixed (usually) with training and incentives.

• They could have learning disabilities or other issues that slow them down. This can be dealt with by providing an extended time accommodation.

• They could actually not know the material. If this is the case, you could give them a lower level test.

• They could know the material but not well enough to fluently answer questions about it. Again, a lower level test is in order.

Tests like the ITBS are designed so that *most* students will be able to finish within the allotted time (with the exception of the math calculation and estimation sections). If your children are not finishing, it is important to find out why.

All that said, you could try using the PASS test. It is untimed.

One option? maybe the untimed Stanford 10?

maybe there's a homeschooling parent in your area that is authorized or approved to order through BJU? you'd have to check on rates individually.

here...

https://www.bjupress...ng/stanford.php

(you don't have to use any BJU curriculum for that. Our local co-ops order through BJU and test families who don't all homeschool for religious reasons even... so it's an option)

you might look over the various resources on this link.

http://www.hslda.org...ars/Testing.asp

depending on state laws and needs... some tests can be parent administered.

Maybe so, but my husband feels its important to test them every year, so thats what I'm doing.

My comment on the scores not being accurate is based on threads here. someone once told me that if my kids arent finishing, that doesnt really tell me whether or not they know the material, just that they need more time or are more careful or whatever, which I think is a reasonable point Many people have said the grade equivalents are pretty much meaningless. Other people have said that ITBS gives a false sense of accomplishment. Personally, i just found some of the questions goofy and was frustrated that they couldnt finish.

I guess that's just the thing -- what I'm looking for is, in fact, a test that does evaluate what they know.

This is the internet. Everything you read on it is not the truth. I have found that these boards tend to have a lot of people who post who have kids who are not quite normal, and they don't know it. The ITBS is a nationally normed test. It is accurate in its results. My kids have taken various achievement tests over the years. THe ITBS results were the same as the others. Grade equivalents ARE pretty meaningless. People usually are misunderstanding them. (I believe someone explained them above.) The thing with grade equivalents is that they really don't tell you anything.

It is frustrating when your kids can't finish the tests. Reading speed is usually the problem there. Practice taking tests sometimes can help. Just being familiar with the types of questions they are going to encounter can speed them up because they don't have to figure out how to approach the questions. Some of the questions ARE goofy. You will find that on all achievement tests.

ITBS is one of the pretty easy to get your hands on tests. My suggestion is to only test reading, grammar, and math. Do not test social studies or science. Those two areas you can't use achievement tests to evaluate what they know because they may or may not be testing what you have covered. That makes them fairly pointless.

I understand testing even when not required, just for your own purposes. We did this before it was required here and I found it very helpful. I do like the Woodcock Johnson, especially for younger kids, and we can find it around here for about $75 for an abbreviated test. Make sure you are looking at the WJ-III achievement test and not the cognitive test. They are two different things. I would ask around on local homeschool boards, at homeschool groups, or at a local homeschool supply store if you have one. They may be able to give you a lead on a local tester. Our local testers tend to be teachers, homeschoolers, etc who have gone through training.

There are alternatives to the the ITBS, if you want one to give at home. The CAT/5 Survey test is popular around here and inexpensive. It doesn't take nearly as long at the ITBS.

This page http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests_tell_us.htm should give you some additional information on the different types of tests and what they tell you.

I understand testing even when not required, just for your own purposes. We did this before it was required here and I found it very helpful. I do like the Woodcock Johnson, especially for younger kids, and we can find it around here for about $75 for an abbreviated test. Make sure you are looking at the WJ-III achievement test and not the cognitive test. They are two different things. I would ask around on local homeschool boards, at homeschool groups, or at a local homeschool supply store if you have one. They may be able to give you a lead on a local tester. Our local testers tend to be teachers, homeschoolers, etc who have gone through training.

There are alternatives to the the ITBS, if you want one to give at home. The CAT/5 Survey test is popular around here and inexpensive. It doesn't take nearly as long at the ITBS.

This page http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests_tell_us.htm should give you some additional information on the different types of tests and what they tell you.

What is the difference between the WJ achievement and cognitive tests, and why is it important thwt its not cognitive? Which one is more typically given

What is the difference between the WJ achievement and cognitive tests, and why is it important thwt its not cognitive? Which one is more typically given

Typically, or at least in NC, we are required to give achievement tests, not cognitive (IQ) tests, to meet state requirements, so you want the one that will meet your needs. If you are wanting to measure IQ, the WJ-III cognitive test is an individual IQ test option. If you are wanting to measure achievement, the WJ-III achievement test is an individually given achievement test option (has to be given individually rather than the kind like the ITBS or CAT that can be given in a group). Also, the achievement tests are usually much, much cheaper. ;)

The link I gave before talks about the differences in cognitive and achievement tests, as well as what the different types of each kind can tell you. It also gives some insight into the different types of achievement tests, as they do not all give the same kind of results. Personally, I have used both the ITBS (given at home) and the WJ-III (with a professional tester) and like them both, but for different reasons and to get different information.