Menu

Kindle Fire for school, anyone?

mom2agang

I bought a Kindle Fire a couple months ago. It was a helpful purchase to me. I don't have my own internet connection. I just tap into a friend's connection in my building when we are on speaking terms. When we are not speaking, I'm on my own :-)

I can take the Kindle to any hotspot and download library books directly on it, without a computer or sync cord. Unlike the iPad and I think even the other Kindles, the Kindle Fire is a stand alone device. It doesn't even come with a sync cord, but you can purchase one.

I ended out purchasing a sync cord, because I bought the Yesterday's Classics ebooks during the $49 sale. I was not able to directly download those ebooks onto the Kindle and did need a sync cord for that.

The tipping point for me with the Kindle is being able to download library books directly onto it from any hotspot. I collect library cards, so have access to quite a few online libraries. Also that a computer is not required to upkeep the Kindle. Because the Kindle is pretty cheap, I was able to insure it very cheaply. So I know that no matter what, for the next couple years, I have library books and access to my e-mail from any hotspot. And that makes me feel more secure.

I really am not using the Kindle with students much so far. I know I will be using the Yesterday's Classics ebooks and library books to read aloud to them. But this was a personal purchase.

My vision is deteriorating rapidly lately, and it's easier for me to read the Kindle than a book.

There were a lot of recent rumors about new Kindle Fires about to be released. Don't purchase one until you find out what is going on with that. I couldn't wait in my situation, but the new Fires are supposed to be a lot better. There is supposed to be a slot for a card, and a camera.

Beware the Fire is heavier than it looks. MUCH heavier than I expected. It's still lighter and smaller than the iPad. I find it much easier to hold than an iPad, for novel reading. I find it easier to type on even though smaller, because of the way I am able to hold it. The iPad is WAY better for pdfs though. I haven't used an iPad in years though, so this is comparison with the iPad original. I'm not sure what has changed, but I found the larger screen more awkward to hold, but easier to see. I enjoy holding the Fire more than a book or an iPad. It truly can be used one handed.

I also prefer to deal with Amazon much more than Apple for purchases. There are jokes about the Kindle Fire being for old people. With my seizure problems and resulting ongoing brain damage, I really appreciate the Kindle over dealing with Apple, that is trying so hard to keep kids from sharing content. I still have an iPod and I've just had it. I've been gradually moving my audiobooks onto the Kindle and thumbdrives (when I can figure out how) and don't don't think I will ever buy a portable Apple product again. It's too much for me. I end out in tears way too often. I have a friend with an iPad and I just can't help her anymore. I get too upset.

Oh, and I let the prime expire. As I said, I can't depend on internet and I have a PO box, so although shipping is free, it's not as fast. I don't get all the perks that others do, since I have no official ground address or consistent internet connection. My reason for getting the Kindle was because I DON'T have these things :-)

I use the kindle and the nooks for homeschool and it work for me. I agree with the previous poster about pdfs on the kindle and thats why I will invest in ipad next year but until then converting files with Calibre works most of the time. And with prime I am able to stream movies etc for the girls. My youngest dd loves the kindle for reading, audio books and playing edu games.

My DH has a Kindle Fire, and I have a Toshiba Thrive (10" tablet - similar to iPad in size). I much prefer the full size tablet for school stuff. If I just wanted it for reading ebooks, I'd suggest a regular Kindle, as that would be better on your eyes.

My DH likes the Kindle Fire because he can fit it in his dress pants pocket, so it's easy for him to tote around. He uses it as his Bible for church, for example. He also brings it with him on planes for games and such.

For school, we use the Thrive, since we are usually reading PDFs or items that need to be closer to real page size. Also, the Thrive has a USB port that lets me put files on it a little easier.

As far as Amazon Prime goes. We have it for the free shipping, as we order from them a lot. I haven't used their lending library, since that only works on the Kindle and not on other devices using a Kindle app, and you only get one item per month.

If I were buying a 7" tablet today, I'd probably take a good look at the new one from Google. But overall, I prefer a 10" tablet for school stuff. Love my Thrive! :D

With PDF's or anything else, you can also email them to your kindle email address and put "convert" in the subject line, it will convert them to Kindle format and you will be able to highlight and take notes, etc. and it will be the size to fit the screen. The other option is the "Send to Kindle" feature for the desktop, where all you have to do is right-click a file and send it to your Kindle wirelessly.

I use the Kindle Fire for books, photos, documents, manuals, videos and apps of course, here is a list of free educational apps we have come across:

50 States

Awesome Arithmetic Free

GeoQuiz

Developer Whiteboard Demo

KJV Bible

Kid Math Game

Learning to Draw is Fun

Let's Do the Math

Periodic Table

Speed Anatomy

US Presidents

Rhythm Cat

Music Sheet Workout

Flash Cards Max

The Candy Factory HD

How much do you know about History?

Peter Pig's Money Counter

This Day In History

PowerVocab

Telling Time

Picasso - Draw! Paint! Doodle!

MathOpen - Kids Math workout

I LOVE the Kindle Fire and use it a lot. I've found it useful when dd asks what something is, I can just go to Google images and bring up a photo right then and there. I also have stored directions for projects/lapbooks/crafts on my docs on the Fire, so I don't have to print those pages out - it makes it so handy.

There is another post about this recently here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=406020

I dont have a Kindle Fire (yet), but I have a Kindle Keyboard. I can get online (sorry Hunter, its a stand alone too) with a WIFI connection at home or out. I can get library books, books from Amazon, etc. I can even get games too.

I get books for school for the girls and I let them play my games.

I love my Kindle Fire and use it for school every single day!

I think it depends on you and the type of school you are doing as to whether or not it is useful.

PP, thanks for the list of app! I am going to check them all out. I have mainly been using it to read to DS and have him read with me (as the school aspect, I use it for many other things on my own).

I dont have a Kindle Fire (yet), but I have a Kindle Keyboard. I can get online (sorry Hunter, its a stand alone too) with a WIFI connection at home or out. I can get library books, books from Amazon, etc. I can even get games too.

Thanks for letting everyone know! :-) I don't know much about the regular Kindles. I never had one. The Fire is my first ebook reader. I waited a long time before investing in one. It took being without internet for a bit and being really bored, and learning I could download library books directly. No one told me I had the option of doing that on a Kindle Keyboard :-0 I just charged the Kindle and now am struggling a bit to pay for it, but still glad I bought it.

I haven't downloaded many apps at all. I keep thinking I'll check out what's available, but never do. I'll have to look at that list, Classically Minded. Thanks for posting it!

Edited by Hunter

I LOVE using my Kindle Fire for school, though at first I wasn't sure what I'd do with it. (It was a gift, so not my usual "I'm buying it because I need it for X" purchase.) Now, I know I could live without it, but I don't wanna :tongue_smilie:

Here's how we use mine:

--free picture books, esp. for my DS3

--free apps

--free classics, both for my own self-ed and for the boys (we did Five Children and It a chapter a day at bedtime... the Fire is GREAT for that sort of thing!!)

--Getting Started With Latin :D

--Netflix streaming (Documentaries! Mythbusters! Beakman's World!)

--Amazon streaming and lending library (I finally got to read The Hunger Games this way)

--various pdfs sent to my kindle email address (MEP!!!! also Scholastic teacher express books so I can reference them without firing up the computer)

--music!!! I always go for the free mp3 credits Amazon releases and buy classical music albums with them. I have quite a collection, and can access them all from the Amazon cloud.

and about a hundred other little uses.

We use the fire quite a bit for school. It is the easiest way to access the internet at our house. We use it as a general foreign language dictionary, to google things that come up in lessons, as a e reader(Fallacy Detective free from prime). We use it for science all the time. I love being able to call up great microscope slides and go over them. I have several pdf's which are easy to access where ever we are--we travel a lot. The kids love to study using quizlet.

It makes it much easier to be spontaneous and go where they are interested. I love it!

I just figured out how to use the send to Kindle feature.

I tried to convert the Mr Q science, but it didn't work too well. I sent regular pdfs and they are quite readable. I think I'm going to be giving Mr Q another try.

I found the ESP worksheets that he hides away :-) http://www.eequalsmcq.com/sciencewise.htm

The Simple Schooling ebooks covert better than Mr Q and are acceptable as read aloud by mom, but not for student independent reading.

I just figured out how to use the send to Kindle feature.

I tried to convert the Mr Q science, but it didn't work too well. I sent regular pdfs and they are quite readable. I think I'm going to be giving Mr Q another try.

I found the ESP worksheets that he hides away :-) http://www.eequalsmcq.com/sciencewise.htm

The Simple Schooling ebooks covert better than Mr Q and are acceptable as read aloud by mom, but not for student independent reading.

Other than emailing them to your Kindle email and putting "convert" in the subject line, I've found that some PDF's still have issues and came across ezPDF reader pro app. It does cost $2.99 but has high reviews and I personally liked it for one of the curriculums I had that just wouldn't show up right with the other 2 methods. With that you won't have any problems with PDF's again from what I understand, hth! ;)

I use my Fire for Ambleside Online's literature study, I was able to download most books for less than 2 dollars (they have free copies available, but I spent a couple bucks to get the illustrated versions). I also use it to type up narrations and e-mail them to my home computer.

It has definitely been a great addition for us.

Meredith

• 1 month later...