Menu

how long can hard boiled eggs safely stay out of the refrigerator?

Eggs stay good for a remarkably long time even when raw. Once they are boiled - same thing. As long as the shell is intact, I would say even a number of days would be safe.

We always left our dyed eggs *in* our Easter baskets, out of the fridge, growing up: all 5 of us are still alive and kickin' ;) so I think a few hours/a day would be just fine.

~coffee~

We've had hardboiled eggs in our picnic lunches that have been out for at least 6 hours, so I think I'd be okay with that. Not if it's very hot, though.

On a side note: in Costa Rica where my daughter lives, they never refrigerate eggs. In fact, my son-in-law thought it was so strange that we DO! Eggs are not found in the refrigerated section in grocery stores, but just in a regular aisle. (These are raw eggs, though, not hard-boiled.) But, I think it might have to do with the fact that eggs go so quickly from the farm to the stores, there.

According to food safety guidelines, they are only supposed to be out for 2 hours after cooking.

Raw eggs can be out longer because, as long as they haven't been washed, they have a protective barrier on them that keeps them fresh. Once they are boiled, they loose this coating and become susceptible to spoilage.

According to food safety guidelines, they are only supposed to be out for 2 hours after cooking.

Raw eggs can be out longer because, as long as they haven't been washed, they have a protective barrier on them that keeps them fresh. Once they are boiled, they loose this coating and become susceptible to spoilage.

So is that why store-bought eggs are refrigerated, and say on the carton to refrigerate? Because they've been washed? (store-bought here in the U.S., anyway.)