What's with the ads?

Photo

how long can hard boiled eggs safely stay out of the refrigerator?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 NEprairiemom

NEprairiemom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6960 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

I am using natural dye this year and I know it takes longer for the color to set, so if I have th eggs sitting on my countertop all day soaking, will that be ok?

#2 54879525

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55102 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I've kept out eggs that long. But I'm not particularly squeamish.

If you are worried, couldn't you just move the bowl to the fridge? Or put it in a container that could be put into the fridge?

#3 NEprairiemom

NEprairiemom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6960 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

thank you

#4 SailorMom

SailorMom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4509 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Eggs stay good for a remarkably long time even when raw. Once they are boiled - same thing. As long as the shell is intact, I would say even a number of days would be safe.

#5 MrsBear

MrsBear

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Can you soak them in ice water to keep them cold? Ice water also helps the yolks stay yellow and not turn that weird green around the yolk!

#6 CupOCoffee

CupOCoffee

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Eggs stay good for a remarkably long time even when raw. Once they are boiled - same thing. As long as the shell is intact, I would say even a number of days would be safe.

We always left our dyed eggs *in* our Easter baskets, out of the fridge, growing up: all 5 of us are still alive and kickin' ;) so I think a few hours/a day would be just fine.

~coffee~

#7 elinnea

elinnea

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

When I lived in Germany the eggs at the supermarket were never refrigerated and it's common practice to have Easter eggs displayed at the table for several days before eating them.

#8 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5130 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

We've had hardboiled eggs in our picnic lunches that have been out for at least 6 hours, so I think I'd be okay with that. Not if it's very hot, though.

On a side note: in Costa Rica where my daughter lives, they never refrigerate eggs. In fact, my son-in-law thought it was so strange that we DO! Eggs are not found in the refrigerated section in grocery stores, but just in a regular aisle. (These are raw eggs, though, not hard-boiled.) But, I think it might have to do with the fact that eggs go so quickly from the farm to the stores, there.

#9 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13071 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

According to food safety guidelines, they are only supposed to be out for 2 hours after cooking.

Raw eggs can be out longer because, as long as they haven't been washed, they have a protective barrier on them that keeps them fresh. Once they are boiled, they loose this coating and become susceptible to spoilage.

#10 SweetIrony

SweetIrony

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Growing up, our Easter eggs were always left out all night, hidden around the house. As soon as we woke up we would start the egg hunt! We are all still alive and never got sick from eating them.

#11 gardening momma

gardening momma

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

According to food safety guidelines, they are only supposed to be out for 2 hours after cooking.

Raw eggs can be out longer because, as long as they haven't been washed, they have a protective barrier on them that keeps them fresh. Once they are boiled, they loose this coating and become susceptible to spoilage.

So is that why store-bought eggs are refrigerated, and say on the carton to refrigerate? Because they've been washed? (store-bought here in the U.S., anyway.)

What's with the ads?