Menu

online college courses

I have a friend whose 9th grader is beginning the on-line program this fall. They were told that if they complete all four years of the on-line program for high school, everything they paid would be applied to his college tuition, should he decide to attend that university.

Blessings,

Julie

I have a friend whose 9th grader is beginning the on-line program this fall. They were told that if they complete all four years of the on-line program for high school, everything they paid would be applied to his college tuition, should he decide to attend that university.

Blessings,

Julie

What school is that, I would be totally interested. As much as we are paying for school, how great to have that applied to tuition for college.

I remember seeing a newspaper article where a guy was going to be graduating from the University of Florida without ever having stepped on campus. He was from a small town...somewhere on the southwest coast of Florida. I think he was going to walk at the graduation ceremony...which would be his first time on campus!

More and more colleges are offering online classes. I know our local community college keeps adding more and more online classes or blended (half in class, half online) classes.

Check out whatever schools you may be interested in attending!

Good luck

Western Governor's University is all online for people interested in Education, certain medical, IT, and Business.

What is really good is that it's not terribly expensive either. It is almost $3000 per 6month term including library fee. That is the cost whether you do 12 credits or 52 credits. Most of the learning resources are available at no cost also though some texts and such will cost.

The only time you go ANYWHERE is to take certain proctored tests (not all tests are proctored) or if you want to go to graduation. The tests are usually done at a local community college, library, etc. My daughter and I take our tests 10 minutes from our home.

If you check it out and are interested in starting, I can give you my info so you don't have to pay the application fee. Just PM :)

ETA: And they are regionally accredited AND have national accreditation (NCATE) for the teaching programs.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Many colleges and universities advertising degrees online are not accredited. While this may not matter on the surface, it may later. Graduating from a non-accredited school may well prevent one from graduate school later on. It may also prevent one from becoming employed in certain fields as the employer does not recognize such institutions as bona fide.

Caveat emptor!

Pamela,

How many classes do you find you are able to do per semester? I work 30 hrs a week, hs my 7yo, and have 2 littles, so I'm not sure how much I should take on, but I really want to further my education. Do you find it terribly difficult to keep up with school and everything else going on in your life?

Also look at how the school is accredited. Nationally accredited institutions usually take credits from regionally accredited schools, but regionally accredited schools often do not transfer credits from nationally accredited school. The procedures are more stringent for REGIONAL accreditation.

This is important if you end up needing/wanting to transfer or if you wish to continue on to graduate school or work in a field that requires some sort of state licensing (i.e. nursing). Sometimes employers look at this, too.

http://www.elearners.com/guide-to-online-education/regional-and-national-accreditation.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_accreditation#Regional_versus_national_accreditation

Mo,

The terms are 6 months rather than semesters. This allows you to take a little longer on a tougher course (Ethics! lol) or to put more courses into the time period. If you have a good semester and plow through a lot, great. If life gets in the way, having 6 months to get to 12 credits is nice.

This works better for me. Like you, I work and homeschool. I also have some significant health issues. Though the school suggests you set aside 15-20 hours per week, I find it easier to work in spurts. I may not do anything for a couple weeks and then I'll hit it hard. For example, In the first month of this term, I finished 12 credits. In the next few weeks, I finished a couple more. But then I slowed WAY down. I need to get moving so I can finish a few credits by the end of my term, but i'll probably not accelerate any next term (with the starting of the school and such going on as well as which classes I have next).

HTHs a little :)