Menu

Do you know? And would your teen?

Okay, so a local school district has an aide position open in their creativity lab (I believe it's very much a computer lab). My daughter is doing an IT degree program. She's 16 (17 in Sept).

Would a school hire a 17yo (has diploma and college credits under belt)? She meets all the requirements (they don't say anything about age in the requirements).

Would you allow/encourage your kiddo to try for such a job?

BTW, we generally are against her working as we believe that school is her job as long as she's a minor and because she has an involved volunteer schedule she wants to do so we encourage that over a job.

But this is just a consideration during a time when things are really tough. This would be an ideal job in my daughter's eyes (working with preteens and computer). I just don't know if the school would even consider her.

BTW, she is pretty young looking. Someone is very likely to ask her age.

m_4688bf5da5ed4e1c8dd28d6f0e0622f1.jpg

Edited by 2J5M9K

I think most applications would ask for the age of the applicant, so I would expect that information to come out in any event. However, I'd have her apply anyway if she/you feels that she is qualified. The worst that can happen is that she goes through the process and is denied. Simply applying for a job is an experience worth having.

Regards,

Kareni

I found this link:

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/cte/hum_svc/TX_CERT_GUIDE_2007_Human_Svcs.pdf

Although you are talking about a job in the media lab (or whatever they call it at the school), I wonder whether the job would have the same (or essentially the same) requirements as those listed at the link for the two different "Educational Aide" jobs discussed therein. Both of those specify a minimum age of 18.

Why not call the personnel office and ask what the minimum age for hiring is.

P.S. You have a lovely daughter. She would make a fine impression, I think, at an interview !

Edited by Orthodox6

I would be delighted, actually. One of the things I regret most is not having built a proper resume when I was younger. I hope my kids have the maturity to get out and work at a "proper job" as soon as they are legally allowed. In my opinion, that is more important than electives. Life is long enough to pursue those subjects when it's convenient.

Your daughter may not get the job, due to age, but all interview practise helps! I don't think she looks too young in the photo, a very cute little face, but if she dresses right and wears her hair up, she'll look old enough.

Good luck to her, I say!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ask someone's age - and any other personal question - at an interview. Doesn't mean the interviewer can't figure it out anyway by looking at the resume anyway. I would always encourage kids to apply for anything they are interested in. There are a whole set of job skills involved with applying and/or interviewing. In today's job market there will be tough competition though.

but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ask someone's age - and any other personal question - at an interview. Doesn't mean the interviewer can't figure it out anyway by looking at the resume anyway. I would always encourage kids to apply for anything they are interested in. There are a whole set of job skills involved with applying and/or interviewing. In today's job market there will be tough competition though.

It's illegal to ask for a specific age, but it's fine to ask if they meet a minimum age requirement.

I can't articulate the law very well but my 16yo dtr applied for a nursing home kitchen serving position and the HR office said ''because the retirement home serves an at risk population [some residents have alzheimers; this is not a routine retirement complex]'', all applicants must be 18yo or older and subject to a rigorous legal screening process. other jobs require or allow random drug tests. it is my impression that there are laws that do not allow these types of more intrusive tests of minors.

I would highly doubt that a govt. entity such as a school district could hire a minor to work alongside children in an in-school setting because of the legal reponsibilities or the school district and the screening processes.

lisaj

It's illegal to ask for a specific age, but it's fine to ask if they meet a minimum age requirement.

I believe that it is not actually illegal to ask someone's age, but under ADEA, it is generally illegal to use someone's older (40+) age against him or her in the hiring process. Accordingly, most potential employers do not ask a candidate's age because it is then difficult to prove that the employer did not use age as a consideration in its decision not to hire the 40+ candidate. This consideration would not apply to the OP's daughter, since she is obviously not over 40, and it is perfectly legal to discriminate against a candidate based on her youth.

Terri