Menu

How do are you managing kids who want to go

Except for last year, we have ALWAYS tried to get school done by now (my son finished this past week). And if I didn't? I'd probably lighten the load and run into summer when the weather is TOO hot in order to give them more time out now.

Gregory is a bit different due to circumstances. He will be schooling through the summer, just doing 3R's til fall.

As it is, outside time makes the PERFECT incentive to get work done, such as, "Gregory, we'll go on a walk after you finish that work" or "Sure, we'll ride bikes once your math is finished."

I'm not sure how many kids you hs, or what their ages are, but my two are still pretty young. 5.5yo ds gets to play outside quite a bit and only gets called in for a short morning session of handwriting and math and an afternoon session of phonics. In between he is in and out at will. But, he's just doing a light K5. Dd still has to accomplish cursive, math, Latin, writing, spelling, reading, free reading, etc. So, I usually try to have her do independent subjects (cursive, free reading, practicing Latin vocab.) while I work with ds. Then we do a few subjects in the morning, followed by a playbreak before and after lunch, and then a few subjects in the afternoon, followed by lots of afternoon and evening play. If there is a particularly nice day and the forecast is calling for rain for several days following, I might just let them do a few subjects and spend the rest of the day outside.

We used to take a blanket outside and do work outside when dd was in K5, or go sit in the playhouse to read while ds played in the sandbox beneath us, or out in the yard. Or I would take one dc's work out to the picnic table and work with him/her while the other one played. I've found it's easier now just to finish our work inside and then go play, but that's just how it works during this phase for us. And I know that this year we're going to have to continue a few subjects in the summer months, so I'm trying to make sure they get plenty of time outside now while it's so nice.

I agree with Pamela that sometimes it's the incentive to keep going and get our work done. They'll ask to go to the tennis courts to play tennis or to the playground to fly kites, and I'll say that when our schoolwork is finished we can go. Now there have been some days when they worked hard on most subjects and are getting mentally fatigued, so I use getting outside for physical exercise as a break, but it can also be a good incentive for finishing.

Edited by gandpsmommy

Guest Virginia Dawn

Never mind the kids- *I* want to be outside all day. Luckily it's been raining for most of the week. :-)

I've been trying get as much school work done as possible early in the day. Then we take a long break in the middle of the day and finish up a couple of hours before dinner.

Well, living in FL the most beautiful weather is during the winter. We always want to be outside during the school year. We've learned that what is best is to take it outside. Most of the year my kids pack up all their books and take them out to the front lawn. They love doing all their schoolwork on a blanket in the yard. I go out and help them when needed, but I'm able to get some work done inside too. My younger ones take breaks and ride their scooters and then get back to work. I'm surprised at how well it works.

Melissa

We do the opposite, lol. We go outside in the morning and work our tails off. Then after lunch, well, school just seems mighty appealing.

;)

Georgia

Mine just came inside, later start than normal, but they weren't sweating like they would be shortly. Now off to work!

Taking the work outside, as many have suggested, has never worked for us. The kids beg to go off and play and I too much a pushover and let them, so nothing gets done.

Instead we get the school work done early and then spend the rest of the day at a park somewhere. We're still getting a lot of rain with a nice day or two here and there. I don't usually require every subject on the nice days. We usually do the basics plus whatever I'm feeling behind on. The latter is the first subject we do to make sure it gets done.