Menu

Timelines

Here's our Modern History timeline we did in 2005-2006, oh, and my dd! :D I just used strips of paper and wrote the dates on them. Some sections didn't have much happening so the numbers I wrote were further apart (50-100 years), as we got closer to modern the numbers were closer together (5-10 years).

It's not gorgeous, but it worked great! It was on a little area of wall inside a room upstairs, but it was a definite visual that the kids enjoyed!

post-3326-13535082880619_thumb.jpg

post-3326-13535082880619_thumb.jpg

We do our timeline on a roll of brown paper. I bought a big roll for $1 something at Walmart and cut it into four smaller rolls ('cuz I have 4 kids working on it right now, no other reason for the size) and they keep it rolled up in their school box and write in their own dates and glue on or draw pictures. It is easy to get to the time you need, unroll one end and roll up the other as you go. Makes them feel like they are creating a scroll.

Here is a link to my summer project. It is an accordion style timeline Homeschool in the Woods website.

We have been using a spiral bound notebook for the past 4 years which the kids like to do, but I don't think they are getting a good idea of how long ago something happened nor are they able to get a good feel of how much time has passed between events. An actual line that can be rolled or folded out I think will be much better.

Edited by sands31210
corrected link

We do our timeline on a roll of brown paper. I bought a big roll for $1 something at Walmart and cut it into four smaller rolls ('cuz I have 4 kids working on it right now, no other reason for the size) and they keep it rolled up in their school box and write in their own dates and glue on or draw pictures. It is easy to get to the time you need, unroll one end and roll up the other as you go. Makes them feel like they are creating a scroll.

That's a great idea!

I don't know what width your timeline is, but whatever it is, you may be surprised at how history bunches up sometimes. During the study of ancients, for example, you may have centuries without much going on. Then all of a sudden there are overlapping civilizations, major wars, significant kings...all within a few decades of each other. Our timeline figures often creep up onto the wall. Some people do different lines for different cultures or continents. I've been thinking that might be useful as we get into more modern times.

I've wanted a timeline like this for ages, but I can't sort it out. Deciding how big to make all the gaps, how to divide the years, etc. I just *know* that I'd get it made and end up with WAY too little or too much 'space' set for certain periods of time and it'll be all a mess with big blank spots and areas overflowing with too many characters. I'm staring at this photo and trying to read the dates on it, but they're blurry. :tongue_smilie:

I read somewhere you should give 12 inches for every 100 years. We have one from Avenues of the Mind, well, two actually, they are split by the four ages, Early, Middle, Early Modern, and Modern.

The Middle Ages goes from 400AD to 1650, and then the Early Modern goes from 1550 to 1850, so a bit of an overlap.

But it has "Markings" every 50 years, and then of course, the little lines for events that happened in between those 50 year increments.

I do think it is important to keep all "markings" at equal increments, even if nothing is happening during those time periods. That is kind of showing the big picture of the world history. It even struck ME when I was looking at the Middle Ages timeline, how there was a huge chunk of time when nothing really happened, and then we had the labels of the Black Plague and Dark Ages, and then suddenly, things starting Popping, and yep that was the Renaissance.....so it really showed a visual of that time period.

Making the space smaller during time periods that were relatively "slow" is kind of skewing that visual.

Tell me more about these! I was going to make an accordion style timeline, but this looks like it is exactly what I want without the effort of making it myself. Is it printed on card stock? Does it come 3 hole punched to put in the notebook or do you do that yourself? Is it 50 year increments for the entire timeline? How are yours holding up with all the opening and closing?

Thank you.

I'm in the market for a pre-constructed wall timeline as ds is only going to be six years old and I need something visual to keep us on track while we work on our Book of Centuries :lurk5:

I like these ones too (one available for each time period).

Edited by sagira

I'm in the market for a pre-constructed wall timeline as ds is only going to be six years old and I need something visual to keep us on track while we work on our Book of Centuries :lurk5:

I like these ones too (one available for each time period).

For a pre-constructed timeline, I don't think you could beat the one that hyper-history makes. I love their online one and am planning to get the hardcopy of the timeline this for my own reference. http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

Making the space smaller during time periods that were relatively "slow" is kind of skewing that visual.
Well, when you only have a small space to put it in, you do what you gotta do! :001_smile: My kids had no problem with it, and the way I made mine was the way I found directions on Homeschool in the Woods or someplace like that (I don't remember now). With our Ancient, even though I made some closer together, there were still huge gaps! I didn't have NEARLY enough space to make it with 12 inches per hundred years for Ancients! But, again, all I did was explain it, and my kids got it fine!

On the wall timelines really caught peoples eyes! Our kids were asked lots of questions when visitors came over, and the visitors could see how we really WERE doing something, not just staying home and playing all day (although that year of Ancients was like playing cuz we did so many fun things)! :)

For a pre-constructed timeline, I don't think you could beat the one that hyper-history makes. I love their online one and am planning to get the hardcopy of the timeline this for my own reference. http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

ack. My eyes crossed just looking at the online one :lol:

Everybody's diff though - if it works for you, awesome. :D

The ones we used were from www.avenuesoftheminds.com.

They are printed on regular paper, feels just like copy paper...but different colors, ie Middle Ages is light green, etc.

They are three hole punched on one end, so you can put them in a binder if wanted, and then they have folds for regular paper size. They actually arrive in a sheet protector, which is for a 8 1/2 by 11 paper.

We hang ours on the wall, because I love the visual and the easy interaction that provides. They are 10 feet long each. We stack one above the other.

The "events" are actually printed stickers, so you can just stick it right on. It also comes with blank stickers so you can create your own if wanted. We used K12 History and these timelines pretty much followed it exactly as far a major events.

They have held up well, and we have moved them twice to different rooms.

I love this idea! I think I'll take my roll of paper to the store to laminate in 5 or 6 foot lengths so it'll survive our crazy house! I will probably use some dowels on either end and make it look like a real scroll. Thank you for the idea! :D