Menu

Do you ever wish someone could take over your curriculum and make lesson plans?

Frontier Mom

I have all this great curriculum that I really like but never really use effectively. Some are resource guides, some great websites, good books, etc. I look at it, want to really work on incorporating it into my school, but just don't get it done. I would just love to pull together a really "FUN" year.

I was thinking how resourceful everyone is here on the board and thought, wouldn't it be great to have a few of you over to help me. Well, maybe if I start now I'll have it all together by next fall.

Why not list what you have and what your goals are? Maybe we can help- more brilliant ideas have come from these boards then anyone could ever imagine! And I for one would LOVE to be able to meet with others and have a 'planning' weekend or something like that.

That is an AWESOME idea!! But, no plans on going to Georgia. :(

I have all this great curriculum that I really like but never really use effectively. Some are resource guides, some great websites, good books, etc. I look at it, want to really work on incorporating it into my school, but just don't get it done. I would just love to pull together a really "FUN" year.

I was thinking how resourceful everyone is here on the board and thought, wouldn't it be great to have a few of you over to help me. Well, maybe if I start now I'll have it all together by next fall.

I love to plan it out, but pulling the resources together (erm, making copies, getting books in, making it all "click") - that's what gets me. Every. Time.

Dy, who is, um, just now (yes, at ten PM), putting this week's stuff together (and, uh, yeah, I know it's already Monday night - this is exactly what I mean! LOL!)

I feel this way sometimes. While planning is my favorite part of the process, I don't have enough time for it. I'm one of those people who need lots and lots of time for it. I'm detail-oriented, so that means I need to read everything to put it all together. Summer is always supposed to be the great plan-athon, but summer always slips through my fingers. As busy as the school year is, I think our summers are busier. I have loads of spring cleaning leftover from last year that needs to get done, too. So...yes, I love what I've chosen, but sometimes I do wish someone could help me tie it all together, or utilize it more effectively. Sometimes, I think I make it harder than it is. There are times when I have beautiful written plans, but they don't play out as well in real life. Every year I get closer to making a system of planning and implementing that works perfectly for me. This year was the best as far as that goes. I suspect next year will be better. Hopefully, summer will be a little slower this year, but we'll see. :P

I think I might post some of my things and get some help. I liked the site that does lesson plans but only goes to lower grades. I may check out some of their plans though for my youngest.

I think I just need some guidance to get started. I'm going to gather some specifics and see if you can help for next year.

My oldest ds uses Omnibus I. I like it but find it is hard to really "push" him without a class/group setting. I have him write the Summa, essay questions on his blogspot. He is an advanced reader and has enjoyed the readings, although it doesn't take him nearly as much time as I thought.

Math we use is Bob Jones and really like it. No change here except using Jacobs Algebra for oldest next year.

I use LCI for youngest two and Henle Latin for older two. Works good except I wish there were some exercises printed out so they could work independently and then we could go over. I may do this myself.

My oldest does Apologia Science which we like. Overall, his schedule is working great.

What I don't like and don't know how to fix is with middle two. I want them reading but just telling them to read doesn't work well. My second ds would sit in a chair for 3 hours a day daydreaming instead of reading. Drives me nuts!! He needs some type of accountablility other than my nagging, IYKWIM.

I just started CLE reading with two middle for this reason. Although workbooks aren't my first choice, I felt this would give me a way to hold them accountable. Maybe someone else has some better advice.

Science and History, although I would love to do CM style, just doesn't get done. I have the resources but find by the time I go over math with each, latin, spelling (which is only 5 minutes), reading with youngest, checking of work and CW, I simply don't have time to get it all done. Thus, my middle two are doing CLE Science and Social Studies. Dry but at least they are getting it done daily.

I am using Aesop with 9 year old and Aesop/Homer for Older Child with two oldest. We have also done some IEW. I like these and want a good chunk of time to do these daily.

I have SOTW books and AG for all 4 cycles. I also have Apologia Elem. Science books. How can I make this work if I steer away from workbook approach?

Hmmm...

Instead of the CLE Reading, what about using Progeny Press or similar guides. That way they are reading quality lit., but you have some accountability (the questions they need to answer.) I also have dc write a one-page book report, following a form I developed, after books I am not using a guide for.

I think you are perfectly right to give the most time (and your time) to math, Latin, writing, spelling, and such. Science and history can be more independent. Would middle two (and maybe even 7 yo) read SOTW and do the Apologia Science more independently, but together, like a study group? 11 yo could take the lead.

Or what about just a "science lab" and "history lab" once a week with younger three dc, for an hour or two each. That's not a huge commitment for you, but it would keep them going.

As far as incorporating fun websites and extra resources, the way I handle this is to schedule them ahead of time. I plan out the whole year, and then I can write them in, taking each one at a time and putting notes in all the places in the lesson plans that I can use it. That way I don't forget.