Menu

I need writing instruction help for a 4th grader

I need some ideas for teaching writing to a challenging ds who'll be going into 4th. We have had such a struggle getting him to read that I have not focused a whole lot on writing until the later part of this year and for that, it has been gradual. He has been working through a handwriting book (another issue) and I picked up an Evan Moor -Draw than Write workbook and he does 3 pages a week (first day you draw and the prompts for the sentence are all included. Next page is a little more by filling in the Who? What? When? Where and then a complete sentence putting it all together and finally on day 3 you are given instructions on drawing and then telling about it with no prompts. Has been working great in getting him going on writing but I'd love something more planned out and more "meat." We are also working on a grammar workbook and that includes some writing, but not a lot. Any ideas? Rabbit trails for me to look at? He, of course, doesn't like the idea of writing (as in holding the pencil so I'm going to work over the summer on a keyboard program to get him typing) but I need more. We've been working through the SL LA 2 Reg but he doesn't like the copywork but we did work through the grammar portions but just didn't end up sticking the writing portions. I've tended to lean more CMish in my approach but wondering at this point, if he's of the CM learning style. He does seem to enjoy workbooks although I am not a big fan.

I want to step things up this coming year but not overwhelm him, kwim? Help!

I agree with IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing). I would strongly suggest getting the teacher dvds and then either also getting the student dvds or a theme based program. All Things Fun and Fascinatingis a great place to start if you think your son will respond well with you as a teacher, otherwise most kids also love the dvds.

I would also encourage you to take away as many hinderances to composition as possible. If handwriting is an issue, let him dictate to you to work on sentence structure and then work on handwriting separately - you can even have him copy the passage he dictated to you.

In answer the question about hand muscles and strength - probably. Some days he still writes BIG and then in the same line he'll write a word small or more size-appropriate for the lines and paper. When you watch him write, he holds the pencil as though he is left-handed but when we tried making that switch, it didn't work out. I've done many exercises from the Dianne Craft products about side-dominance but it hasn't change much. I do have him dictate the sentence/sentences to me onto a white-board and he then copies and does a fine job with little complaint. He is a switch-hitter in baseball so he is a lot like his Dad who is left handed but shoots right-handed. Go figure!

I'm going to look into the IEW because it looks like something we can work into and stick with over time. That's one of my issues - you find something that works but then the program only goes so far and then you are left trying to find something else.

We used CW Aesop for my ds this year. This was his first year of real writing instruction, he is also mildly dylexic. We had used some basic writing workbooks in the past and they just left us both frustrated. I seriously thought CW would overwhelm him, but it has clicked for us.

We did a lot of the work orally and I helped him with outlines and such, but it provided enough real teaching that now he is writing. It was such a happy day for us when i realized it was working.

Another option might be Writing Tales, I've heard good things about it as well.

Have you thought of Writing Tales? It is very teacher friendly, easy to use and does help a child to get interested in writing.

Both of my boys have enjoyed this program, especially the games. Both of my boys like doing the rewrites. They summarize the story the first week. OK, but the second week they get to make changes or add something. They go to town!!!

Just a suggestion!

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have looked at the Writing Tales samples but got scared when I read the story and wondered if he'd be overwhelmed. This might be something to get his ideas rolling - they are in there but just trying to find a way to get him thinking. I'm going to take a second look and really think it through - thanks for the idea!