Menu

Is there a good 'coming of age' gift for a 13yo boy?

My oldest ds is turning 13yo next week. :svengo: His main present is a new wetsuit which he's already picked out and is using. I'd like to get him something else that is small and inexpensive that says, "You're growing up now, and I'm so proud of you," that he can get for his actual birthday, though it won't be given to him ON his actualy birthday because he'll be out of town with dh. :(

Any suggestions?

He has a pocket knife already. Guns are not easy to come by here - strict laws - and he'd really never have an opportunity to use it (though he would LOVE it). Leatherman is a good idea. And I like the idea of the dog tags. I'll have to see if I can get that done anywhere around here. Thanks for the ideas, and keep them coming. :001_smile:

What about a quality pen? DH has several Cross pens that he's gotten over the years. They are quite the gift in our extended family. You can have them engraved. And Cross has a great warranty. If something goes wrong with the pen, they will fix or replace it. I had one get a dent in the barrel and they fixed it right up. The one that I carry I've had for 15 years.

BTW, don't get one without a clip (you know, the thing that would go over the edge of a pocket). The pens are so round that they roll right off the table if they don't have something to stop them.

You can find these at a lot of office chain stores (where you could use your homeschool discount to get a teacher discount card).

It also makes a great graduation gift for a young man. You could add a note about the symbolism of a compass with regard to life direction, spirituality and values, etc. if you so choose.

I gave a compass to my godson for his high school graduation several years ago, and he still tells me how much that gift meant to him.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Well, besides the knife, .22 rifle, wallet, watch and compass (funny to see how many people all think this way...), the following books were a big deal for my DS:

The Dangerous Book for Boys

The American Boys Handy Book (a completely NON politically correct book that DS adores)

Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth (the videos are great, too)

asta

We stole this idea from friends of ours: Last year when our oldest turned 13, my hubby bought him a really heavy duty tool box and put a few essentials in it...each year we will add a quality craftsman tool so that by the time he is ready to spread his wings and move out (sniff, sniff!) he will be well equipped to be a 'fix it' man.

Yikes, he turns 14 on Mother's Day...gotta remind hubby to hit the Sears Hardware store :)!!!

Blessings,

kathi