Menu

Using MUS - Should I switch to Singapore?

Joyful

We have been using MUS for DS from beta through delta (he only has 2 more lessons to finish). I already have a set of Epsilon to use. We have been really happy with MUS. DS loves the way Mr. Demme teaches on the videos, and he loves doing math. (Now I think he would feel that way with just about any curriculum because he is very mathy and just enjoys playing with numbers.)

We started to use some Singapre CWP last month along with the MUS, and we've really liked the material. So now I'm second guessing myself (which has happened quite a bit on our homeschool journey). DS is doing well with MUS. But I am wondering if he would find Singapore Math more interesting and well, more "challenging." After we finish Epsilon (which covers fractions), should we then switch to Singapore Math? Or should we just finish out with MUS till we get to Pre-Algebra/Algebra?

I would love to "hear" what folks think about this. I would appreciate some advice!

TIA!

couldn't help but think "if it ain't broke..."

we use mus, and i second guessed myself because other hsers were having great success with abeka which was supposedly more "challenging," so i switched. within a few weeks i was back to mus, and don't plan on switching again until its usefulness is expired.

For my DD, we use MUS as our core curriculum (it really works for her!) and supplement with Singapore. We use it to reinforce MUS...if she can also do it in Singapore, I know she's got it. She thinks of it as her "fun math" days because she likes the pictures...but I know if she did it every day, she'd be overwhelmed. We do the CW occasionally, but mainly just use the text/workbooks.

Maybe this is another option for you. I agree that if it ain't broken, there's nothing to fix...but supplementing might be fun as well!

My oldest used MUS through Zeta. She finished Zeta in middle of 5th grade and then we started Singapore around 4B. I wished I had switched sooner, or at least tried to do something from Singapore. I was already adding things to MUS and Singapore had everything I was doing. I don't think MUS had very strong word problems compared to just the regular problem in Singapore (not CWP or IP or anything, just regular stuff). Plus, MUS didn't cover as many topics as I wanted to cover. I clung to MUS for longer than needed just because it "wasn't broken". But it was not the right tool that I needed. My kid was coasting too much and needed stronger. I should have added or switched to Singapore sooner for my child. your mileage may vary.

If you're already interested in adding Singapore in some way, give it a try.

-crystal

I currently do both with my dd. She uses MUS as her main and Singapore as secondary. Basically, she does both everyday, but if we run short of time than Singapore is the one that doesn't get done. She does do one level below in Singapore so it is more like a backup. It is working so far.

Blessings,

Pat

Personally, my opinion is yes. We used MUS Delta through pre-algebra with 8th grade dd (now in TT Algebra) and we've used MUS Beta through Delta with now 5th grade ds. We made the decision at the end of Delta (back in late Oct.) to move into Singapore for ds. I took him back half a level from where he should have been (into 3b), and we have loved it. He repeatedly tells me how much more he likes it than MUS, and he has gone through 3b, 4a, and is midway through 4b right now, in 7 months, and I am amazed at the ease that he has been able to grasp and get a good handle on each concept. It has really been painless, and he seems to be able to do so much orally, without ever breaking out the pencil because of how the textbook works.

I also had the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idea, but I wasn't aware that, while it wasn't broke, I didn't realize how much better and cost-effectively the other one worked. A year's worth of singapore is quite a bit less expensive than MUS. If nothing else, you could spend about $18 getting a textbook and workbook and seeing how you both liked it. Do the work on paper, and if it's not for you, you could resell the set. It's less painless than I had thought at first. I hesitated for a while because I felt we were too deep into MUS. I was wrong.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your experiences! It really helps to hear from folks who have switched, and even the ones who are doing both! :001_smile:

Based on what I've gathered hear, I'm leaning towards adding Singapore maybe along with MUS for a little bit just to check out the curriculum to see if the switch will work out for us. For those of you who do both MUS and Singapore together, how much time do you end up spending on math each day?