Menu

Great garage sale find--possible debate?

So I just bought an adorable, new-condition playard at a garage sale for $25. I was checking online to see what it would cost normally, and discovered that it's been recalled! The company will send me $100 to replace it. Would this cause any ethical dilemmas for you?

Absolutely not. This company is looking to make good on the release of a defective or potentially dangerous product that they placed on the market. They don't care how you got it. If it were a (brand new) baby shower gift, would you feel any differently?

If someone scoured garage sales looking for recalled products (with no intent to use them) then proceeded to eBay the NEW items, that'd be different. You just wanted a play yard and you wanted a good and safe one right?

Absolutely not. This company is looking to make good on the release of a defective or potentially dangerous product that they placed on the market. They don't care how you got it. If it were a (brand new) baby shower gift, would you feel any differently?

If someone scoured garage sales looking for recalled products (with no intent to use them) then proceeded to eBay the NEW items, that'd be different. You just wanted a play yard and you wanted a good and safe one right?

Yep, this was my thinking. I was just curious if anyone would disagree. If I had been given it free but used from a friend, however, I think I would offer them part of the money.

One question: could the original owners have already claimed the $100 and then, instead of disposing of the item, they sold it?

No, to get the rebate you have to cut off the 4 side panels and mail them in. This way only 1 person gets the rebate, and no one else uses an unsafe product.

If someone scoured garage sales looking for recalled products (with no intent to use them) then proceeded to eBay the NEW items, that'd be different.

how would this be different?

you are still the legitimate owner of the item.

Is it unethical to NOT tell the seller the REAL value of a an expensive antique??

Or do you smile sweetly, pay the $2, then sell the ugly statue for a thousand bucks?

Kinda like scouting garage sales for broken craftsman tools --get a free replacement and sell the new tool. You're the one putting the legwork into requesting the replacement/ recall info and/or doing the research to know the true/final value of a product.