Menu

natural sunscreen reccomendation?

I'm looking for an all natural/organic type sunscreen for the family this year, but have heard that some don't work as well as others. What have you used and really liked? We need something safe for infants all the way up through Mom and Dad. Thanks!

I always go for the micro-encapsulated zinc oxide (it doesn't even remain white once it is rubbed in).

I've never tried this particular brand, but I found a site talking about different methods for suncreen preparation, and that brand fit the bill.

Good luck,

asta

My skin is sensitive so I have to go for non-chemical sunscreens anyway. I look for ones that contain zinc or titanium oxide as the sunscreen. The Burt's Bees and Badger brands are both great.

Thanks for the resources and reccomendations. It is always such a huge effort to figure these things out! I didn't realize that the non-chemical sunscreens weren't waterproof. Sigh. Why can't this just be easier?:001_rolleyes:

So... anybody know of a non-chemical sunscreen that is waterproof???

:D

Oh. Maybe I should check out the links before asking another question.:blushing: The Skin Deep page has a link to help you narrow down your choices and one of the limiters is whether or not the sunscreen is water resistant. There are quite a few that are. I have not yet found one that claims to be water proof yet though... Thanks again for the link. But you should have warned me NOT to read down the page to the bottom where they list all the potential problems. Good grief! Even the safest products have gut churning lab test results for some ingredients. Makes me wanna fit myself out with a bubble. ;)

Even the safest products have gut churning lab test results for some ingredients. Makes me wanna fit myself out with a bubble. ;)
Remember that many of those studies are done with relatively high levels of the substance being tested. Also, when it says "one study..." you needn't get worried; "one study" can show almost anything. Skin Deep even list small amounts of tocopherols (Vitamin E) used as a preservatives as potentially hazardous (because of "one study"), but green-light those products anyway as having no established safety concerns. They aim to be comprehensive and transparent. :)

California Baby (you can get it at Target) is the best for my ultra-allergic-to-chemical-sunscreen skin.

I'll second this. California Baby is expensive, but we find we can use a very little, so it lasts a long time. When I was researching sunscreens a year or two ago, CB consistently got the highest marks for safety and effectiveness...

I'll second this. California Baby is expensive, but we find we can use a very little, so it lasts a long time. When I was researching sunscreens a year or two ago, CB consistently got the highest marks for safety and effectiveness...

I don't think using very little is a good idea. Better to bite the bullet and consider it a necessary expense!!:)

California Baby for us too. I buy it at www.vitacost.com....or www.drugstore.com (if on sale there). It does leave a bit of white "film" on the skin, but I like that cuz it shows me where I missed. The film doesn't come off on clothes or stain anything.

We have been using this for 3 years or so...living in Florida, going to the beach quite often, long weekends all day at baseball tournaments, long afternoons at the pool (sometimes I remember to reapply, and sometimes I don't)....no sunburns in our family ever.

Yes, a necessary expensive, so I pay the price for a organic high-quality product.

I don't think using very little is a good idea. Better to bite the bullet and consider it a necessary expense!!:)

I'm not suggesting using less than necessary. But I find a small quantity of CB covers the same area and is as effective as thinner, more liquid products which require using more quantity at a time.

I also prefer to use sunblock only when truly necessary. That means not for short periods of time, when a hat would do as well, early or late in the day when the sun's rays are indirect, or on parts of the body that are unlikely to burn. I believe the epidemic of vitamin d deficiency demonstrates how unwise it is to use sunblock to excess. Obviously we avoid burning with great care (and while my children are pale, I don't think either of them has had a burn), but I also avoid over use of sunblock.